The value of comments

Darel Leedy
Doug and I were talking last week about the reasons there are so few comments on the blog compared to the amount of visits it receives. I had read something yesterday which concluded that, unless there is a controversy, most people shy away from commenting on blog posts. Controversy stirs a passion in people which makes them want to speak out.
Well, many moons ago on the DSP-P email list (long before Yahoo came along) a controversy of epic proportions raged which had generated hundreds if not thousands of comments. One of those comments directed at a participant has bothered me to this day: "Lick my mud ring". I still don't know its meaning. A few of you were there. Am I the only one still traumatized by this after all these years? I have gone so far as to seek professional help and still, I am burdened by this feeling of helplessness.
Isn't there anybody that can explain its definition and lift this curse from me?

Re: The value of comments

Rick Steele
Well Darel,

A mud ring is the portion around the bottom of the firebox between the firebox itself and the boiler. I was driven from the list by the Moderator, so I asked that all of my contributions to this particular discussion forum be eliminated. There were some big holes, believe me.

I have waved the magic Brake Shoe that UP uses to ordain it's new 90 day wonder Conductors.  I hereby absolve you of any guilt or shame for not licking somebody's mudring. I wouldn't lick it either. The thing that most pros do with a mudring is wash it out using high pressure hot water or steam. So if you feel traumatized, just remember the remedy and smile at the fellow's ignorance of what is supposed to happen.

Your curse is now lifted, Now go out and Railroad evermore.

Rick

Re: The value of comments

Darel Leedy
Administrator
Oh thank you ever so much Rick! Although the said phrase was not directed at me, it had stuck in my mind all this time. I do feel as though a heavy burden has been lifted. Amen!
Does the UP brake shoe work for physical ailments as well? I have a bum shoulder which could really use a blessing too.

Re: The value of comments

Rick Steele
Nah, only on Railroad stuff. You have to see a REAL witch doctor about your shoulder.

Rick

Re: The value of comments

Bill M
Thanks Rick for clarifying that point. I suspect that not knowing the definition of the term was the root cause of my failed marriage and the chronic migraines. But I must admit, I have forgotten the subject that inspired that comment and I suspect that that's ok! In reflection, I remember when we started the group when it was an internet news group and that was 20+ years ago well before Yahoo ever came along. So much useful information and making of life long friends have resulted in this. Thanks to all who share their knowledge and make the days just that much more interesting.