Sn3 Report

Keith Hayes
Derrell,  I found a cattle guard:

I am looking forward to operating Dave Woodrell's excellent layout.

Re: Sn3 Report

Robert McFarland
Howr ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm..........after they've seen Pareee!!!!

Re: Sn3 Report

Robert McFarland
There doesn't seem to be anything preventing cattle from running off down the ROW.

Re: Sn3 Report

Keith Hayes
Oh, there is a fence there, Robert.

Sorry the pic is sideways. Just rotate your monitor clockwise and all is fine.

I am happy to report that Dave's layout runs flawlessly.  It is especially nice to see all the little touches like the cattle guard and the fence. There are lots of culverts and some nice cinder piles too. And the sheep and cattle like to gather in the corner of the pen, just like in real life.

I met a bunch of nice fellows who all like to stop in here now and again. If only they would stay and share!

Re: Sn3 Report

Derrell Poole
I saw Dave layout in 2012 - very nice - and, yes, that CG was the only one I recall seeing across the entire layout tour that I took. Leaving CGs off of the detailing of you model of NG track is like.... leaving the bell cord off of you model locomotive. (Maybe no one will miss it but it is MISSING!)

Have fun for me Keith...

Derrell

Re: Sn3 Report

Derrell Poole
Hmmmmm...

Keith's second-hand (obviously taken by a friend), side-ways "Selfie"!

Re: Sn3 Report

There is nothing to keep livestock from wondering off down the track.First of all where are the split-rails between and outside of the RR rails to discourage them from making a break for it?Googling cattle guards and then following up on their picture section led me to an article in Aug 2011 Model Railroad Hobbiest "The Light and Narrow:An Unusual and Interesting Bit of Railroad Detail" by Lew Matt on pp91-94.It has several pictures of  models of cattle guards and tips on how to make one.

Re: Sn3 Report

Keith, I looked for you Friday morning at the Symposium but never ran into you.  Unfortunately, I have to do a hospital shift Friday night and Saturday.

Sorry to have missed you!

Re: Sn3 Report

Re: Sn3 Report

Not sure about 8-wheel cabeese on the South Park,  but some veterans appear to have migrated to the Northwest :
This was taken on Steve Depolo's neat layout.

Re: Sn3 Report

Jim, I looked for you too. Another time, perhaps.

Re: Sn3 Report

Robert,  Derrell and I are in a double dog dare as to who will make the rail casting first. He had one on the Trout Creek layout that was spiff, but I think it consumed a full 36" length of code 40 rail. I tried to do a 3d print, which has the advantage of being non-conductive,  but the rail section resolution was so fine that Shapeways would not accept it. Perhaps I should give it a second try. Then you could buy one and show us both how it is done?

Re: Sn3 Report

Keith Hayes
PBL showed progress on their two new Evil Empire products:

(A K-37)

(A peaked roof long caboose)

I asked Bill about the markers--if they would be lit--and he showed me the nifty paint job on the model.  While it looks good,  what I was really after was some caboose trucks with a pick up. Sounds like I can dream on. So, it is back to Plan B and modifying a Kadee couple centering spring instead. Trying to figure out how that will work?  So am I, but I got a whole envelop full of springs to experiment with.

Re: Sn3 Report

Notice the large gap in the ties where the cattle guard is.

Re: Sn3 Report

Keith,

While you have a chance, talk to Keren Booth at the PBL table and ask her if they still have phosphor bronze pick-ups for the 3'-7" caboose trucks (they did at one time).

Also look at the PBL R-T-O Passenger trucks with the built in axle contacts for your Overland passenger cars (they had a bunch just to the left of the kits and RTR cars).  They may offer the pickups separately.  The PBL R-T-O trucks are very easy to modify to a C&S style truck, the top anti-sway stabilizing bar unscrews from the truck, can easily be trimmed and reinstalled.

Re: Sn3 Report

More picket fences with cattle guards!

Re: Sn3 Report

Does Derrell's Trout Creek cattle guard appear in any of Bender's photos?Are there any C&S standards drawings for cattle guards?

Re: Sn3 Report

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/78052/rv/singleitem/rec/111

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/77989/rv/singleitem/rec/1

This one has the appearance of being a small bridge over an irrigation ditch, one that can be seen alongside the Mainline in the first photo upgrade of Riverview.

Re: Sn3 Report

Jeff Young
I think the irrigation ditch is key: as long as the cows can see through the ties to empty space, there's no requirement for anything parallel to the rails.  If there's no ditch under the ties, then some sort of parallel grating is required for depth (or at least the illusion of depth).

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Sn3 Report

Robert McFarland
Right!The one with the white picket fence looks like they used old ties or small bridge timbers,and the Trout Creek-Box Canyon  one looks like nothing more than a gap in the ties with a ditch.The reason I called attention to the model  is that it is all solidly ballasted  roadbed where the cattle guard is supposed to be.
12