Second St.Elmo Depot?

Robert McFarland
In "The Alpine Tunnel Story" by P.R. Griswold the St.Elmo depot in the photo was identified as being the second one.According to the caption the first one burned down.First time I heard that.Have you any info on the depots?

Re: Second St.Elmo Depot?

South Park
  If this is true, the first one burned early.  What shows in photos into the 20th century
is a Romley-looking structure, still wearing early style telegraph entries.  I have the
insulator seen in the well-known photo of the depot as an upgrade train approaches
on the curve beyond.  The insulator dates to the mid-1880's.

  Left, mid-1880's replacement glass from St. Elmo depot, right, original 1880 construction
glass, recovered along ROW below the Palisades.

Re: Second St.Elmo Depot?

Rick Steele
Hi Robert,

According to the information that I have, the same frame depot shows standing in 1886 and 1894 as well as the Valuation in 1917.

I wonder if Griswold got mixed up on the St. Elmo Depot and the Romley Depot, as Romley's was moved down from Hancock, burned and then replaced by another building.

Rick

Re: Second St.Elmo Depot?

Robert McFarland
Are there pictures of it in 1886 and 1894?

Re: Second St.Elmo Depot?

South Park
  Wasn't the St. Elmo depot originally an Illinois Central freight house in Huber Heights,
Illinois and moved to St. Elmo ?

Re: Second St.Elmo Depot?

Rick Steele
No, the B&B books were not illustrated. You use the footprint and dimensions.

No, not Illinois Central... That was for Alpine. St. Elmo was an ex Chicago and North-Western from McHenry, Illinois.