Rocky Mountain Railroad Club to ride the Loop in 1938...almost

Rocky Mountain Railroad Club to ride the Loop in 1938...almost

Kurt Maechner
I've spent some time recently looking into the history of the Rocky Mountain Railroad Club, a group that I associate mostly with excursions on the Rio Grande Southern and D&RGW narrow gauges.  However, to my surprise it seems that one of its very first excursions in 1938 was to be over the Georgetown Loop, roughly one year before it was torn up.

In the March 1938 issue of Railroad Magazine Carl Hewett wrote "I want to hear from persons interested in forming a rail fan group in Colorado, especially around Denver.  Also, I'd like to organize a narrow gauge fan trip over the famous Georgetown Loop."

I explore a bit more about this in this post.

Enjoy,
Kurt