Restoraton projects

C&S Railway Society
Greetings from the Colorado & Southern Railway Society,

We are currently preparing two grant applications for the State Historic Fund.

1. C&S Caboose 1006  (SHF Mini Grant)

2. C&S Passenger Car 70 (SHF General Grant)

We have been conducting research in the Colorado Railroad Museum Archives, the Denver public library, and the History Colorado Center archives in order to gather information for these projects.

We would like to put out a general request to all members of this forum for assistance in our research efforts. As there are many C&S enthusiasts who have done tremendous amounts of research; we are asking for anyone who has performed research on these pieces of rolling stock if they would be willing to share any photographs, documents or research resources they may possess to support these projects in both achieving the goals of grant approval to raise the necessary funds, and in the actual historic restoration of these pieces.

Our ultimate intent is to have the 1006 and the 70 restored to a state where with the cooperation of the communities of Silver Plume and Idaho Springs, these pieces of C&S rolling Stock could be enjoyed by members of the public and the railfan community in places like the Georgetown Loop, the Colorado Railroad Museum, the D&SNG, or C&TS.

We feel this is an important cause because in the vast collections of Colorado narrow gauge, we feel that the C&S; which is arguably one of the most significant narrow gauge railroads ever built, goes deeply under represented. By comparison not only to other narrow gauge railroads, but to the place it holds in historical significance.

Currently the Caboose 1006 is having components fashioned for a new roof thanks to a grant from the Rocky Mountain Railroad Historic Foundation. The frame is being stabilized and squared up to facilitate the roof installation.

Throughout the summer, Cleaning, touching up, repairs, and assessment have been underway on the coach 70 and the Locomotive 60. What we have found on both the coach and the locomotive has been very positive. In both cases while they need some work on various small items, our assessment thus far has not revealed a 'fatal' flaw in either. Unfortunately both are the subject of ongoing vandalism, which has been a constant battle for the City to deal with and for our efforts. However we are working closely with the City of Idaho Springs to try and curb the vandalism and to restore the 60 and 70 to their former glory.

Any assistance in this cause would be greatly appreciated, and would help to bring C&S back into the public eye of the railfan and railroad community.

Our Email: candsrailwaysociety@gmail.com

Mailing address: 9325 lowell Blvd, Westminster CO 80031

We are a 501(c)3 non-profit orgaizations and contributions are tax deductible in accordance with IRS guidelines

Thank you,

-Benjamin J Fearn
 Vice President, C&SRyS Inc.