New Book

Pat Student
A book that may be of passing interest to some of the members of the forum is Stan Rhine's "Rio Grande High-Side Gondolas" published by White Rive Productions for $34.95.

It cover cars from the 9200's built in 1898 through the end of operations.  Most interesting is each class of cars is described as built with descries of the edition of automatic air brakes and safety appliances which would be the design of the cars as interchanged with the C&S prior to March 1925.

Additional information covers couplers and air brakes and sprinkled through out the early history of thees cars is comparison with C&S practices.

Suggested for inclusion in the library of anyone interested in the history of narrow gage railroads.

Re: New Book

El Gringo Grande
A good description of the book. To expound, it is the gondola version of Vic Stone's classic "Taking Stock"

It has all known facts of rebuild dates, disposition, etc.

If you go to the White River website, you can get it for $30 and free shipping for a few more days.

https://shop.whiteriverproductions.com/products/rghg

Chris Lane

Re: New Book

Jimmy Blouch
Is this publication now in stock?

Notation on web site indicates item may not yet be stock.

Thank you

Jimmy

Re: New Book

El Gringo Grande
Hi Jimmy. It is in fact in the warehouse. It came in a bit earlier than expected.

All the best,

Chris Lane

303-489-8760

On Apr 16, 2019, at 2:28 PM, Jimmy Blouch [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is this publication now in stock?

Notation on web site indicates item may not yet be stock.

Thank you

Jimmy

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/New-Book-tp13801p13806.html
To unsubscribe from New Book, click here.
NAML

Re: New Book

Jimmy Blouch
Thank you very much.

I plan to order copy.

Jimmy

Re: New Book

Thanks for the info, Pat, just ordered my copy.

Is the March, 1925 date firm for when narrow gauge movements on the Salida -- Leadville 3rd rail ceased?

When was the 3rd rail actually removed?

When did the D&RGW get around to pulling up rail on the Blue River branch line?

Re: New Book

Jeff Young
Blue River branch rails were pulled in 1924.  (At least in Kokomo.  I assume the whole branch was done at the same time.)

Re: New Book

Jimmy Blouch
I do not have the date of last use of 3rd rail between Salida and Buena Vista.
Assertion has been made that unit coal trains, using narrow gauge cars, were made into the 1920s.
However, that is not true. I don't have the material at hand to verify that comment.

March 1925 could very well be the last use of 3rd rail between Buena Vista and Leadville,
Rio Grande standard gauge trains handled C&S traffic between those 2 stations until about that time.

3rd rail between Salida and Eilers was removed during 1925.

Blue River Branch track was removed in 1924

Jimmy