Mystery Leadville depot/structure

Don Peterson
I met a couple today that is restoring what they said was the old Rio Grande depot. After a little research, both D&RGW depot are accounted for. They also mentioned that they had heard it may have been moved from Climax. That might make it C&S but it does not look familiar. Anyone know what this building might be? It sits on the NW corner of Chestnut and James in Leadville.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/600-Chestnut-St-Leadville-CO-80461/2129802268_zpid/

Don Peterson

Re: Mystery Leadville depot/structure

Chris Walker
Looks worth restoring
OP-7250  1940 date

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/67133/rec/6

Re: Mystery Leadville depot/structure

This is the D&RGW passenger depot being...demolished.

The depot that was cut up, moved to Stringtown and stitched together again is the freight depot.

The subject of the photo was a rather large structure. Unusual care seems to be taken disassembling the structure.

Re: Mystery Leadville depot/structure

Don Peterson
Is it possible that it is the Climax depot shown in this image from DPL? Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to load the zoomed image. Chris? I don't recall if we know the disposition of that depot.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/4517/rec/3

The building is now completely restored into a couple of condos rentals. They restored the original window and door locations and sizes as they discovered the interior framing, so it should look different than the Zillow listing. They did not have in-progress photos when I met them today.  I understand they plan to list available rooms on AirB&B this spring.

Don Peterson

Re: Mystery Leadville depot/structure at Climax ?

Chris Walker
Don,
Is this what you mean?
X-6941

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/4517/rv/singleitem

Re: Mystery Leadville depot: Climax section house?

Here is another view of the structure that Chris has illustrated, with less snow:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/36909/rv/singleitem

According to the C&S 1918 Valuation Map, this was the C&S section house at Climax.

Here is an early DSP&P view:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/4207/rec/108

The actual depot was the small frame structure to the right, next to the car bodies.

Jimmy Blouch posted a map of Fremont Pass / Climax showing the relation ship of the structures in: http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Fremont-Pass-Facilities-Again-td2712.html#a2717

Re: Mystery Leadville depot: Climax section house?

Don Peterson
Thanks Chris and Jim. Yes that's the one. But besides the roofline, this doesn't seem to be the building. The window configuration is not correct. There are 3 very tall windows on the end of the building in question very much like the depot in Silverton.

Don Peterson

Re: Mystery Leadville depot: Climax section house?

Jim Courtney
Don,

Are you sure the building in Leadville had 3 windows on the end?  Could there have been 2 windows with a door cut in between the two?

The early 1880s photo of the original section house at Climax shows two windows on the north end.  The 1915 photo indicates that a lean-to type "mud room" (snow-room?) has been added to the north end, covering the far window.  If there is a mud room entrance, there must be an added door on the original north end of the depot.

Between 1885 and 1915, an additional door and window have also been cut into the east wall of the section house as well.

Just say'in,

Jim

Re: Mystery Leadville depot: Climax section house?

Don Peterson
Jim
I have to say my information about the current state of the structure is based on the Zillow listing and a cursory conversation I had with the current owners while discussing other matters. He showed me a picture of the Silverton Depot and was quite proud of how much the remodel resembles that structure and their general goal was keep the struture as original as possible. I will be contacting them tomorrow about my small part in the restoration and can ask them if they can provide recent photos. They encouraged me to pursue this thread on their behalf as this building seems to have no written history in the public record and the old timers stories are inconsistent. I will see if I can post more tomorrow evening after speaking to them.

Don Peterson

Re: Mystery Leadville depot/structure

Here is a photo of the D&RGW freight depot, after it was moved to Stringtown:

This is the building I chose to emulate with the Silverton depot as someone else suggested. I did so for sentimental reasons, as I recall seeing the structure in place when visiting my Great Grandmother in Leadville in the late 60s.

Don, the Zillow structure does have a 'railroady' look when you squint. It also bears the patina of a building modified again and again as many Leadville buildings do. Given the location, what about something from the Smelter? The horizontal window looks like something for a truck or track scale. The smelter surely had enough carloads in its heyday to justify some sort of railroad presence.