Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

Holt Guysi
Hello

In his May 22, 2019 post, I believe that Mike Trent alluded to a possible conversion of the Bachmann boiler to the configuration of C&S #9.

If anyone could supply me with any information in this regard, particularly the #9's  boiler dimensions, I would be most appreciative.

Holt Guysi

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

Jim Courtney
Holt,

Go to the "Files" page on the main C&Sn3 page (located just below the title photo) and open "C&S Locomotive Folios".

The folios drawings for "C&S 4-10" should be there in the rebuilt (post 1901) configuration.

The boiler dimensions should be noted, along with the other major dimensions.

As rebuilt, the Cooke B-4-Cs had a two course boiler. I'll try to measure my Sn3 Overland model and give you the dimensions on "their" version.

Jim

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

Hi, Holt. I'm pretty sure I commented that the Bachman model could be upgraded into a pretty nice representation of #12, #13, or #21 or #22. Those were all rebuilt Brooks engines with straight boilers. #9 is a C&S rebuilt Cooke engine. As such, it would require a new boiler. I should have said, "much more work". Do periodical searches on ebay, there have been surprising but rare listings of Overland boiler/cab assemblys that were extras from the Korean builder M.S. Models.

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

I can kill an hour a day searching eBay for C&S related stuff, regardless of scale.

I don't know if Holt is going to convert a Bachmann 2-6-0 to On3 or leave it as On30. Regardless, there are often C&S related detail parts, or as Mike has pointed out, occasionally entire sub-assemblies or tenders, listed on eBay.

For O scale I would suggest using search terms "On3 brass" and "Narrow Gauge On3".

For instance:

"Ridgeway" stack and spark arrestor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-On3-On30-WISEMAN-BACK-SHOP-BRASS-PART-BS-064-C-S-BEARTRAP-LOCOMOTIVE-STACK/153409669934?hash=item23b7edcb2e:g:qRQAAOSwnI9cYPSR

"Como" Spark Arrestor:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRASS-O-American-Scale-Models-O-ON3-ON30-Spark-Arrestor-Cone-Type-502-2/312107186287?hash=item48ab09b86f:g:LgwAAOSwa59azAF6

Headlight Bracket: https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-On3-On30-WISEMAN-BACK-SHOP-BRASS-PART-BS-018-DSP-P-OR-C-S-HEADLIGHT-BRACKET/133015178593?hash=item1ef8528d61:g:OmgAAOSwUKxYk5i~

Tender air tank: https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-On3-On30-WISEMAN-BACK-SHOP-BRASS-BS-162-C-S-TENDER-AIR-TANK-SET-W-TRIPLE-VALVE/132952487160?hash=item1ef495f4f8:g:6~4AAOSwbrZcZNhn

Marker lamps (loco and tender): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Scale-O-7516-Marker-Lamp-w-Bracket-C-S-Brass-Casting/230957678393?hash=item35c6267f39:g:cvwAAOxyQj9RW7H4:sc:USPSFirstClass!98370!US!-1

Butterfly Plow: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=precision+scale+O+scale+C%26S&_sacat=11644&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=10&_osacat=11644&_odkw=precision+scale+O+scale

Boiler Tube Pilot: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Scale-O-7545-Pilot-Boiler-Tube-Style-C-S-69-70-etc-Brass/382802692859?hash=item5920d18afb:g:wgYAAOSwLqRccF6n:sc:USPSFirstClass!98370!US!-1

Loco Coupler Pockets: https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-On3-On30-WISEMAN-BACK-SHOP-BRASS-PARTS-BS-047-C-S-LOCO-TENDER-COUPLER-POCKET/152719691673?hash=item238ecd8f99:g:DnAAAOSwMAZZy8rC

Occasionally C&S specific brass cars or built up O scale C&S models are available. If you are going to stay with On30, all that is needed are some San Juan On30 wheel sets. Examples:

SUF coal car: https://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-CUSTOM-BUILT-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-LOW-SIDE-GON-4534-PAINTED-WEATHERED/153571625054?hash=item23c195085e:g:VnIAAOSwYeZdMN6Z

COX 10: https://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-BRASS-READY-TO-RUN-CONOCO-SINGLE-DOME-TANK-CAR-CONX-PAINTED-WEATHERED/202729629232?hash=item2f33a0a630:g:um4AAOSwtcBdJNi3

Caboose 1006: https://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-READY-TO-RUN-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-4-WHEEL-BOBBER-CABOOSE-1006-PAINTED/202721561151?hash=item2f33258a3f:g:Jv8AAOSwa~tdF7ys

Caboose 1007: https://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-READY-TO-RUN-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-4-WHEEL-BOBBER-CABOOSE-1007-PAINTED/153546903988?hash=item23c01bd1b4:g:ad4AAOSwW2RdF7xW

One can also find occasional good deals on On3/On30 C&S freight car kits as well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-On30-San-Juan-Car-Co-C-S-Box-Car-Kit/293182956518?hash=item444310e3e6:g:yQAAAOSwWkNdTbTg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/On3-On30-WISEMAN-SM-110-COLORADO-SOUTHERN-COMBINE-20-PASSENGER-CAR-KIT/152446392678?hash=item237e835966:g:PwwAAMXQbcRQ7kqi

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

Holt Guysi
Yes, eBay can be quite habit forming.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond to my query about modifying the Bachmann mogul boiler.

By way of explanation, I was recently given a Bachmann mogul, and since I already had three others in the C&S #22 persuasion, I wondered about the feasibility  of modifying the one I was gifted to more or less resemble C&S #9. I realize the drivers are larger on the C&S #9 and that other dimensions differ from those of C&S #22, however, and after two gin and tonics, it seemed like a good idea.

I have not yet switched to On3, but will give it some thought. Truth be known, I am currently limited to 4"x 8", but do have the capacity to expand and right now I am enjoying using Kato track.

Holt

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission and any documents accompanying this transmission may contain personal information subject to such privacy regulations as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). This information is intended only for the use of the authorized individual named above. Such authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party unless required to do so by law or regulation and is required to destroy the information after its stated need has been fulfilled. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosures, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of these documents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and arrange for the destruction of these documents.

I can kill an hour a day searching eBay for C&S related stuff, regardless of scale.

I don't know is Holt is going to convert a Bachmann 2-6-0 to On3 or leave it as On30. Regardless, there are often C&S related detail parts, or as Mike has pointed out, occasionally entire sub-assemblies or tenders, listed on eBay.

[...]

Occasionally C&S specific brass cars or built up O scale models are available. If you are going to stay with On30, all that is needed are some San Juan On30 wheel sets.

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Modifying-Bachmann-On30-mogul-for-C-S-9-model-tp14222p14235.html
To unsubscribe from Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model, click here.
NAML

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

Holt Guysi
Good afternoon Mike.

You are absolutely correct about your comments. It was the allusion to C&S #9 that intrigued me. No doubt it would be more difficult, if not impractical, to modify the Bachmann mogul to at least superficially and from a distance resemble C&S #9. Perhaps I will look for a brass version in On3- the problem being that I am fairly happy with On30 and Kato track for now. Even though I am currently limited to a 4" X 8" test track, I have the capability of expanding and will give serious thought to doing so.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. The website is really impressive, as is the knowledge and advice found there.

[...]

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Modifying-Bachmann-On30-mogul-for-C-S-9-model-tp14222p14234.html
To unsubscribe from Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model, click here.
NAML

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

Lee Gustafson
Holt,

The Bachmann 2-6-0 is a reasonable platform to model C&S #12, #13 and #21 with the boiler and drivers as they are. Cab, appliances and tender changes will provide acceptable models (with some compromise ) Pictures in the Narrow Gauge Pictorial volume VI pgs. 61,62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 70, 71.

Lee Gustafson

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

I thought that 12 and 13 were unrebuilt Cooke engines.

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

Holt Guysi
Good morning Lee

Much obliged Lee for the pictorial references, if I go that route they will be a good supplement to Mallory Ferrell"s  book on the C&Sng .

Holt Guysi

[...]

Robert, that is, in my humble opinion, a widely believed misconception. If it is true that #12 and #13 were originally Cooke engines, then they were indeed drastically rebuilt by the UP identically to the drastically rebuilt Brooks engines. They were virtually identical.

This is a rebuilt Brooks engine, #22, circa 1900. It is dimensionally identical to #12 and #13 and accurate to C&S specs:

This, on the other hand is an unrebuilt Cooke engine, dimensionally accurate to Cooke specifications. Note how high the Cooke Boiler sits on the saddle.

The real #7:

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

Inspiring models, Mike!!

Of note, the original Cooke 2-6-0's had an uneven driver spacing, and the original Brooks 2-6-0's had an even driver spacing.

When the two Brooks locomotives that became C&S 21 and 22 were rebuilt in the 1890's, the frames were rebuilt to an uneven driver spacing to match the Cooke locomotives. And when Cooke locomotives C&S 4-10 were rebuilt in 1900-1901, their frames were modified to give the same even driver spacing as the original Brooks locomotives.

Cooke 2-6-0s 12 and 13 were also rebuilt (new boilers and domes) in the late 1890s or 1900, but during their rebuild, they retained the original Cooke uneven driver spacing, making them quite similar in appearance to rebuilt Brooks numbers 21 and 22.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/42210/rec/2

Everyone confused now??

At any rate, one could take a model (in any scale) of C&S 21 or 22 and modify them into:

1) A Cooke 2-6-0 4-10 prior to the 1900-1901 rebuild (ie Mike's beautiful C&S number 7)
2) A Cooke 2-6-0 12 or 13 after re-boilering and new domes.
3) A Brooks DL&G or C&S locomotive 21 or 22
. . . as all three types of C&S 2-6-0's had similar frames with uneven driver spacing.

I have three Sn3 Overland C&S 21's that I plan to use to do a 1901 Cooke number 5, a 1901 Brooks number 22 (like Mike's), and a 1909 Brooks number 21.

I will have the advantage of lots of castings from Berlyn and The Leadville Shops that were not available to Mike in O scale, including UP style box headlights and brackets, long and stubby wood pilots, McConnell stacks, 6" air pumps, 20 ton trucks, etc. Our other Mike even has 3-d printed Cooke domes for the early DSP&P, DL&G, C&S Cookes, designed to fit the Overland 21-22 boilders: https://www.shapeways.com/product/BTY9JSDDV/cooke-2-6-0-domes-sn3?optionId=57783845&li=marketplace.

I owe Mike Trent a debt of gratitude, for showing me that I don't have to pick a specific year to model the C&S--the physical plant never changed that much, so's 1901, 1909 and 1924 are all possible on the same generic or specific C&S layout or diorama. Only the locomotives and rolling stock changed to mark the passage of time.

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

Thanks, Jim. I'd forgotten about the driver spacing yesterday.

The UP did upgrade the DL&G Cookes in the 90's replacing the Laird Crossheads and increasing the cylinder diameter. When the #12, #13 (UPD&G) Cookes were rebuilt to resemble the Brooks rebuilds #21 and #22, they not only got new frames and boilers, but they also got new lowered saddles. I think I've posted side by side pics of #7 and #22 for comparison. If not, I will. The cab roofs are the same height, but the lowered engines have taller domes that compensate for the lowered boilers. After the B-3-C rebuilds, there really weren't any Brooks or Cookes left. They were all either UP or C&S engines.

Those old guys would laugh themselves to death if they could have known how obsessed we are with this stuff 120 years later.

Thanks for the added information, Jim. So it really is true that the Bachmann models can be modified into rebuilt Cooke engines without too much trouble, but they are #12 and #13.  Still worth keeping an eye out for a #9 boiler/cab assembly. Maybe even post for "Wanted" in the Gazette. There are some out there, probably in somebody's parts boxes.

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

El Gringo Grande
For those wishing to do this Bachmann mogul conversion, I had a 3D designer make the pancake stack. You can get one at:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/53AL6KH6U/union-pacific-style-pancake-stack-ho-o-scale-o

I am still waiting for mine, but a photo I've seen looks good.

Re: The "Un-rebuilt" Cooke 2-6-0's (11, 12 and 13)

I've come to think of the Cooke 2-6-0's that became C&S 11-13 as the "un-rebuilt Cookes", as have some writers, meaning they never received the massive re-building into what would become C&S class B-3-C 2-6-0's (4-10), which involved larger two-course boilers, extended smoke boxes and new frames with longer wheel base and even driver spacing. The "rebuilt" Cookes were altogether much larger and more powerful locomotives.

But has Mike has pointed out, the un-rebuilt Cookes were of course also rebuilt to some extent either in the 1890's or in the early 1900's.  All three lost their original Cooke domes with decorative rings, replaced with flat topped "derby-hat" domes. They also received new steel sheathed cabs and at some point extended smoke boxes, making them close cousins of the two rebuilt Brooks moguls, 21 and 22, in appearance.

But when did this rebuilding occur? All at once or slowly over the years as the locomotives were shopped. Was only 12 rebuilt or as Mike posits, number 13 as well? Why not number 11? Who did the rebuilding, the UP shops during the receivership or the new C&S once it was up and running?

I went to the files section and pulled up the C&S locomotive folio sheets, compiled in 1903. The "roster" on the second page was most enlightening--remember this is data as of 1903:

C&S 11 and 13 were considered a two engine class, with smaller (presumably original) 14 x 18 cylinders. The folio sheet for numbers 11 and 13 list a locomotive weight of 54,000 lb, and tractive effort of 11,200 lb.

C&S 12 in 1903 seems to be a single engine class, weight the same as 11 and 13, but TE was 12,850 lb, presumably from the larger 15 x 18 cylinders. None the less, all three locomotives were lumped together as class B-3-A when that system was adopted in about 1906.

The rebuilt "cold-water" Brooks engines, C&S 21 and 22 are shown as slightly heavier at 55,000 lbs, with TE of 13,535 lb. They both had slightly small drivers, 38" as compared to the 40" drivers of the original Cookes. They show up in pre-C&S photos of the late 1890's and had to have been rebuilt by the UP shops prior to the formation of the C&S. These two would be assigned class B-3-B.

One should note, if the engine weight and TE of the 11 and 13 represent the original specs of the Cooke moguls as delivered, then prior to 1900-1901, the two rebuilt Brooks engines were the heaviest passenger power, for at least a few years. They show up with both DL&G / UP numbers and C&S numbers at the turn of the century, as power for the South Park division passenger trains from Como to Leadville.

That changed when Cooke numbers 4-10 were rebuilt by the C&S in 1900-1901. These were virtually new locomotives, much heavier, with engine weight of 64,000 lb, 5 tons heavier than the original Cookes, tractive effort of 16, 351 lb, the same as the "modern" D&RG C-16 class. It's no wonder these 7 locomotives, later classed B-3-C, would become the main passenger locomotives on the C&S narrow gauge, with the light B-3-As and B-3-Bs assigned to branch line runs like Morrison, Alma, Black Hawk-Central City and the Fish Trains.

So, if Mike is correct, when did number 13 get rebuilt to the same specs as number 12 -- it hadn't happened by the time the 1903 folios were compiled. And why not number 11 as well, lack of need?

There are only a few photos of C&S 11, 12 and 13 in their final "modern" state, posted below.

Morrison, about 1910. John Hallinan collection, in the Klingers' C&S Clear Creek Memories . . .

Denver 1921, Perry photo, DPL.

Denver 1921, Perry photo, DPL.

They all pretty much look the same to me, nearly identical to the rebuilt Brooks 21 and 22. The one major difference is that the injectors appear to be inside the cabs of 11, 12, 13, instead of just ahead of the cab as on 21 and 22.

So, were 11 and 13 also rebuilt between 1903 and 1910, or maybe just number 13? Anyone have hard documentation?

Re: The Moguls.

Chris Walker
Don't forget Derrell's contributions to this subject in the past at the C&Sn3Blog.
A sample example http://coloradosouthern.blogspot.com/2014/11/ropers-snapshot-saturday-no21.html and others like
http://coloradosouthern.blogspot.com/2014/06/ropers-snapshot-saturday-no6.html

Re: Modifying Bachmann On30 mogul for C&S #9 model

Great example of modeler's ingenuity and enterprise, El Gringo!

With this printed stack, a conversion of the Bachmann 2-6-0 to a turn of the century locomotive becomes possible:

The Leadville Shops has O scale decal sets to complete the lettering. Precision Scale has O scale castings for the stubby wood pilot and the C&S style arc headlight as well.

Or you could go back even further in time and convert the Bachmann engine to 22 before it was 22:

As discussed above, DL&G 162 has been rebuilt by the UP shops into what will later be B-3-B class 22. A couple of years later, it would have a new paint job and lots of new friends:

It is about 1900 in Como and C&S 22 is one of the two heaviest passenger locomotives on the South Park Division.

I'd be curious how much printed grain or fuzz is on the final part when you get it -- perhaps you could post photos and do a product review.

Re: The "Un-rebuilt" Cooke 2-6-0's (11, 12 and 13)

Lee Gustafson
I remember an article in the “Slim Gauge News” by Robert Sloan titled “The Case of the Mixed Up Moguls”. Does any one have access to that article and how correct the information is? Thanks

Lee Gustafson

Re: The "Un-rebuilt" Cooke 2-6-0's (11, 12 and 13)

skip
Lee Gustafson wrote
I remember an article in the “Slim Gauge News” by Robert Sloan titled “The Case of the Mixed Up Moguls”. Does any one have access to that article and how correct the information is? Thanks

Lee Gustafson
Lee, For those with old issues or the DVD, the article is in the Summer 1974 issue of Slim Gauge News. It had a somewhat fanciful analysis by David Hoffman followed by a rebuttal by Cornelius Hauck. The article goes through possible rebuilding of the Brooks and Cooke engines. There are some interesting details about Brooks vs Cooke tenders and the shape of Brooks vs Cooke driver counter weights and a few other details. The driver spacing issue is covered. But re-reading the article my impression is that it is a lot of interesting speculation and little hard data. I think we have all covered much of the same ground in this thread already. That being said, it is interesting to go back and re-read it in the context of what we have posted here.
Skip Egdorf

Skip Egdorf

Re: The "Un-rebuilt" Cooke 2-6-0's (11, 12 and 13)

skip
Lee Gustafson wrote
I remember an article in the “Slim Gauge News” by Robert Sloan titled “The Case of the Mixed Up Moguls”. Does any one have access to that article and how correct the information is? Thanks

Lee Gustafson
Oh yeah, and "The Case of the Mixed up Moguls" was not be Robert Sloan. Robert had a different article just before the "Mixed up Moguls" one titled "The Colorado Central and South Park Brooks Moguls" which had a lot more solid data and drawings of the original and rebuilt Brooks engines but nothing about th B-3-A and B-3-B engines. Probably a better article because of harder data and much less speculation. All in all, that issue of SGN has a lot of pertinent information for this discussion even if the second article (The mixed up Moguls) is more speculative.
Skip Egdorf
Skip Egdorf

Re: The "Un-rebuilt" Cooke 2-6-0's (11, 12 and 13)

South Park
  Buck Futz authored a followup article on the inherited Brooks and Cooke
moguls of the Chugwater & Northern in 1978.