Leadville Roundhouse

Re: Leadville Roundhouse

Keith Hayes
A while back the boys installed the smoke jacks on the roundhouse. Progess!

Studying the photos, it is clear that in addition to the six smoke jacks over the stalls and the several vents, there are also flues for roundhouse stoves.

A search of the internet yielded no suitable product in 1:64. Clint Crow has something in HO and O, but not S. SketchUp seems to has fixed the glitch in their software that made it not play well with Shapeways,  so I am back in business with 3d printing. I found a photo of a suitable stove in Chama, I think. I traced the profile,  scaled it so the top was about 60" off the floor and sent it off.

I am really happy with the results! These are for heating,  not for cooking,  hence the size. I added a sort of door,  but didn't bother with hinges as these will be in the dark.

I did have fun with the flue. The base is an oval which transitions to a circle in about 24" of flue length.

Now I need to make the stove pipes above the roof.

Re: Leadville Roundhouse

Jim Courtney
Here is a photo of  a stove in the RGS engine house at Rico c.1950.

Will the Sn3 roundhouse stoves be available at the Poverty Flats shop on Shapeways?

Re: Leadville Roundhouse

Keith Hayes
Jim, is that Como looking through the wood addition towards the North (and the depot in the glare beyond)?

That stove is scary close to what I modeled, even the flue! I may have to dry brush mine with a coat of grey.

I will consider placing these on the Shapeways site. In a moment of unbridled exuberance, I created a sprue with 10-12 stoves. That is a lot of stoves! The part turned out to be rather expensive, so if I do post this, it will be 5-6 instead.

Clint Crow has similar stoves in HO and O, so those of you in those scales should support CC Crow and order parts from him.

(Oh, and sorry for the upside down picture. I took the photo with my camera lens closer to the surface for a more realistic point of view).

Re: Leadville Roundhouse

Chris Walker
Keith Hayes wrote
(Oh, and sorry for the upside down picture. I took the photo with my camera lens closer to the surface for a more realistic point of view).

Came out just fine,

Re: Leadville Roundhouse

Ken Martin
Here is a picture of a stove in the Leadville roundhouse taken in 2003.
I saw a similar stove in the Nevada Northern engine house in Ely, NV.
Ken Martin

Re: Leadville Roundhouse

Jim, is that Como looking through the wood addition towards the North (and the depot in the glare beyond)?

Actually, Keith, I imagine it to be the inside of the Dickey 2-track engine house. The very long shutter speed used to photograph the dim interior causes a bright glare looking outside to the south, and the water tank and coal chutes are lost in that glare.

But, if I squint, I think that I see Mike Trent just outside . . .

Re: Leadville Roundhouse

Keith Hayes
Nope, I think it is the wood part of Como recycled from Dickey. I spy three large openings on the far wall....

I was going to make a joke about Chris seeing the image in the right orientation, but that has been done.

Re: Leadville Roundhouse

drgwcs
Keith Hayes wrote
Nope, I think it is the wood part of Como recycled from Dickey. I spy three large openings on the far wall....

I was going to make a joke about Chris seeing the image in the right orientation, but that has been done.
Just thinking- perhaps you could submit that wrong way photo for "Narrow Gauge Down Under??"
Jim Curran
123