Last Train To Alma

John McCutcheon
The last train to Alma shows a 2-6-0 and a 2-8-0 pulling less than eight car; what was the ruling grade that would necessitate a double header. Was the ruling grade over Red Hill a factor or the climb out of Alma.

Re: Last Train To Alma

Jeff Young
The grade went around Red Hill (ie: down to Garo and back up).

I'm going to guess it's the grade immediately north of Fairplay....

Re: Last Train To Alma

John,

I would be thinking quite possibly more to do with rail and weed conditions than actual gradient: I have wondered about that in the past, but also if those Cars were all mty's or not?

Ruling Grade
Garos to Como was 1.66% Eastbound.
London Junction to Garos Westbound 3.58%.
(Poor:DSP&P)

Re: Last Train To Alma

South Park
  As the last train, they were there to pick up all rolling stock along the line.
Who is to say this is somewhere mid-mission, and there are cars enough yet
to pick up to necessitate the 2nd locomotive ?

Re: Last Train To Alma

From Como to Fairplay there is only a 200ft rise, now there is a bit of down to Garos and back up again.

Fairplay to Alma is 500ft up in a shorter distance.

The line swung around the north part of Fairplay and then up the bluff, I would anticipate that would be the steepest grade, heading west out of Fairplay.

There is reference when they laid the line of the issues with Fairplay going down presumably Main St, I always assumed they would have needed to swing around to ease the grade.

I doubt the grade was the reason.

Re: Last Train To Alma

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the photo on the header of this board, #8 and #69, actually was the last run to Alma.