Kokomo Hardware

Jeff Young
This just might be my best effort to date.

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Charles McMillan
Jeff,
Stunning work on the hardware store. The effects of weathering enhance the appearance of the building very much.
Charles M.

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Pat Student
Jeff

Spectacular!

What did you use for the metal on the roof?

Pat

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Jeff Young
Builders-in-scale aluminium (https://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/parts-metal.html), dipped in PCB etchant (Ferric Chloride).  If you play around with how long different parts of it are submersed you get the nice streaking effects.  There are no powders, paint, or any other weathering techniques on it.

Re: Kokomo Hardware

South Park
  Damn, you do nice work !  I strive to do this same thing in full scale
for many of my restoration projects, or those where clients want that
unmolested patina look.  You really nail it !  Cut yerslf an extra slice of
raisin pie, Amigo !

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Wow! Great work. Did you create this from your own research or are drawings available?

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Jeff Young
Hi Mike,

No research; this one is entirely conjectural based on the overall style of buildings in Kokomo.  I didn't do any drawings; it evolved a bit as it went.

The idea for the side porch came from the Timberline hardware store:

... while the idea for the roof patching came from the orange-ish building in Kokomo:

... and the colouration of the side walls from this building (also in Kokomo):

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Jeff Young
Another building for my down-and-out Kokomo.  This one is a kit-bash of Durango Press' Newspaper Office.

The addition didn't look right to me (board and batten on the front?) so I added a false-front and changed out the windows (and boarded them up).

I also changed the roofing material, the trim around the roof, the smokejack, the back of the main false-front, and I added exposed rafter ends.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Keith Hayes
Masterful! How do you do the weathering/ staining/ paint chipping?

Re: Kokomo Hardware

drgwcs
Gorgeous work. Seems like a lot of the storefront buildings had the painted front and pretty much unpainted sides. Paint was expensive- these boom towns were "temporary" and why waste more when you could keep up appearances in the front? Even the fronts maintenance slid over time and the harsh winters. You wonder how many just got painted once or twice over their lifetimes. The oil paint tended to alligator and crack over time as it lost elasticity.
Jim Curran

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Keith Hayes wrote
Masterful! How do you do the weathering/ staining/ paint chipping?
I tried a lot of the "standard" methods (salt, rubber cement, etc.) but found them over-scale for HO.  I just stain the wood first, and then dry-brush Humbrol enamel paint on it.

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Jeff, where did you find the "Closed - Violation of the National Prohibition Act" sign? I could use one of those!

Re: Kokomo Hardware

I found one! Go to https://www.loriferber.com/national-prohibition-act-sign.html

Maybe it can be printed to an appropriate size. I have just the perfect place for this. The US Marshal has visited his wrath in Dickey too.

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Jeff Young
Can't remember where I found it, but here's a bunch of random stuff:

Re: Kokomo Hardware

It's there. Thanks! Lots of good stuff there. C&S stuff.

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Well, as expected, the US Marshal made a trip to Dickey today. Last I heard, he was headed to Leadville.

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Jeff Young
I hear there's a bootleg man that rides the train....

Re: Kokomo Hardware

Todd A Ferguson
Awesomeness Jeff!!!