Hold it right there, what's that?

Doug Heitkamp
Going through the pictures on the Como Civic Association Facebook page, there was this loco picture. I took a quick look then moved on. Wait a minute, what did I just see?

What lettering style is that on the cab? Entwined herald - probably not. Later number on cab - nope.

Unless I'm just getting old and forgetting something obvious…..

Doug
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Hold it right there, what's that?

Rick Steele
Interesting, Doug.

My first reaction was that it's the cab lettering used right after the reorganization when the cab lettering went from Union Pacific to Colorado & Southern. But wait, it has a steel plate below the windows.

An experiment, perhaps? The Colorado & Southern Ry on the intertwined C&S was located much lower on the side of the cab.

I like it. It is quite curious, especially when you note that the lettering style was the same style later used on the tenders in the later era.

I have no explanation. But it is a good catch.

Rick

Re: Hold it right there, what's that?

According to Hol Wagner, the "Colorado & Southern" on the cab, beneath the cab windows was the original lettering scheme that preceded the entwined C&S "Columbine" monogram, "Style 1", below (Hol Wagner, The Colorado Road, page 411.):

C&S number 4 carries the same lettering in c1900 (notice how "Keep Off" didn't quite fit on the original pilot beam):

Before showing up at Darel's favorite place a few years later:

Re: Hold it right there, what's that?

Doug,where did you find this picture?I searched the whole site and couldn't find it.I did find quite a few more C&Sng related pictures  including a group unloading or loading mail from RPO 13.

Re: Hold it right there, what's that?

Chris Walker
....just above the Dispatchers office picture you mentioned elsewhere, Robert, ie almost at the bottom of the thumbnails.

Could have some fun with this

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11393121_405892846280665_8911564486608491028_n.jpg?oh=cce4d6bf98a11a351322e659e3a59ef5&oe=56B2E1BE

I can't say I had noticed the Stonebase of the Como Roundhouse WT ala Gunnison before either.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1545019_405891282947488_4032257961852483319_n.jpg?oh=58da3f861c9d46b40ff336abe315332e&oe=56C829D9

Re: Hold it right there, what's that?

Keith Hayes
There are 31 gents on the Loco (and the roundhouse roof). This goes to show how important the railroad was to the Como and Park County economies.

I always wondered if it was hot sitting on the boiler like that? (Please forgive,  as my experience is in the car department)

Re: Hold it right there, what's that?

Clicking on the Photos section I found your photo and closeups of the stone tenements,the dispatchers office,the Como section house,and the bunk and cook cars of the scrap train.This is the first time I've seen photos of the section house-where was it located?