Finally!

Steve Black
Normally I live about 30 miles east of Mike Trent in Northeast Alabama, or almost as far away as you can get from the C&S.  All I ever get to see of the Colorado and Southern is my now worn out copy of Mallory's book and this site, both of which I am glad to have and enjoy.

Like I said normally, I live far away, but last month I was asked to TDY to SE Colorado and last week I finally got to see some real C&S!  My very dear wife who puts up with my train addiction wanted to see our new temporary state of residence so we went for a long weekend drive and I suggested we go to Como.

Last Saturday I finally got to see all the hard work that so many people have been working on for so long and it looked fantastic.

Even though everything was locked up, it was great to finally be there and see it.  My wife said we should come back to Como before we head back east in July and then I told her about #4 sitting in the roundhouse and all the plans for the future here and she seemed genuinely interested.

I wasn't done with the C&S. I knew that Boreas Pass had a pretty good chance of being closed, but having a big four wheel drive truck I thought we would try and drove up towards the pass and found the gate locked.  Undaunted, we turned around, went to Fairplay and Alma then then over the mountains to Breckenridge to see #9.  We looked around at the other exhibits and then pressed on to Leadville.  While we were unable to find a place to stay that would take us and our dog, it is cool to see the station that Keith built in Sn3 and see the fright depot.

We then drove to St Elmo and Buena Vista, with me thinking about how it was there over 100 years ago.  After that we left C&S country and went into D&RGW and RGS country, but we are are going to wait for the roads to open and climb Boreas Pass and visit one or both portals of the Alpine Tunnel.

It is great to see it all in person.

Steve
Steve Black Springdale, AR

Re: Finally!

Jim Courtney
That is one beautiful photograph, Steve!

It captures the remoteness and isolation of Como as color photos can't.

Re: Finally!

This was taken on Thursday, slightly different look.

Boreas Pass opened at the end of May last year, this year I would imagine end of June. Breckenridge has skiing to the end of May.

Normally we would be doing something by now but the weather has not been helpful, still have to put the signs up.

Re: Finally!

Steve Black
I saw on the news that you were supposed to get some snow.  We got some rain (much needed) in La Junta.
Steve Black Springdale, AR

Re: Finally!

Enjoy your time there, Steve. Sounds like you will be there long enough to experience some Colorado weather!

Don't forget to check out C&S #638 in Trinidad. That was the last active steam engine on the C&S.

Re: Finally!

Steve Black
Mike,

We saw that the engine the second weekend here.

Steve
Steve Black Springdale, AR