Ferndale, the Moving Flag Stop in Platte Canon

Ferndale, the Moving Flag Stop in Platte Canon

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/28948/rec/49

Anyone know where this flag stop was located?  I don't recognize the bridge across the South Platte, next to the depot.

The DPL caption doesn't identify the date or photographer, only alludes to Jefferson County as a location.

Re: Flag Stop in Platte Canon -- Where is this?

South Park
  Looks like Ferndale when the shelter was on the outside of the curve.

Re: Flag Stop in Platte Canon -- Where is this?

Okay, so I get really confused as I age.  I would swear that the Ferndale depot was always inside the curve during C&S operations.

So I consulted Platte Canon Memories . . . only to find that the little flag depot was both inside and outside the curve at Ferndale!

In the late 90s during DL&G days and/or early C&S days, the depot was outside the curve, with long curving platform, next to the bridge over the Platte:

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/72285/rec/36

But by the time Sadie George took her photos of the little depot after 1910, the flag depot had been moved to the inside of the curve, without platform:

Both photos by Sadie George, summer of 1913, in the Klingers' Platte Canyon Memories . . .

Looks like the foot bridge was washed out and moved a bit down stream, by the big rock.

Got to hand it to you South Park, you sure know your Platte Canon stations!  You should write a book . . .

Re: Ferndale the Moving Flag Stop in Platte Canon

Jim Courtney
I've re-titled the thread, since South Park immediately identified the location.

Any other Ferndale photos out there?

BTW South Park, do you know if the DPL will ever digitalize the photos in the Sadie George Diary? Her work is extraordinary, wonderful images for an amateur photographer of that time. I could study her photos for hours.

Jim

Re: Flag Stop in Platte Canon -- Where is this?

  There is far more that I do not know than what I do !  But 40 years of studying photographs,
reading written accounts, walking the grade from Waterton to Gunnison has given me a fair
jump on visualizing the then-and-now of the place.  Wish I had more time to go back.  The
South Park is heaven-on-earth to this fruitcake.  I don't model.  Why do you think I spend so
much time on this forum ?  The photos and historic details shared here are better than hard
drugs !

Re: Ferndale the Moving Flag Stop in Platte Canon

Daniel Frauenhoff
I had a chance to flip through the George Diary pages at DPL a few months ago. There are many pictures at and around the Ferndale area. I snapped a few reference photographs that might be in Klinger's Platte Canon Memories as well. Apologies for the poor quality as these are all pictures of pictures.

Daniel

Re: Ferndale the Moving Flag Stop in Platte Canon

Daniel Frauenhoff
I also created a rough outline of the photographs which appear in the diary. The list is as exhaustive as I could manage but I'm sure there are many mistakes and missing items. Titles in quotes are the actual photograph descriptions penciled into the diary by Mrs. George. Titles without quotes are my descriptions of what the photograph is showing.

Sadie Damon George Diary 1910 – 1920
Denver Public Library – Western History/Genealogy Department
C Ph 278 Range: PRg5B; Sec: 4; Sf: 3

Ordered by page numbers usually found penciled in upper left or right portion of pages.

Multiples photos per page are separated by periods.

* - indicates a photo of interest not believed to be found in the Klinger’s publications
1 – Indicates the image is found in C&S Platte Canon Memories & Then Some
2 – Indicates the image is found in C&S High Line Memories & Then Some

Box One
 Page 1 – “Ferndale at East,” shows Cathedral Spires
 Page 7 – “Looking up the river toward Council rock.” “Birdseye view looking up river, showing old footbridge and Council   rock.”
 Page 14 – “Rhinoceros Rock,” track shown behind. Ferndale Hill, track shown in foreground. Tracks and the curve of the river near Council rock.
 Page 15 – “View of Buffalo and Riverview from Ferndale Hill.
 Page 18 – Tracks along the river below Ferndale. “The Old Man of the Hills,” a rock formation in the canon.
 Page 19 – “The Canon Ball,” a balanced rock between Ferndale and Foxton.
 1Page 21 – Foxton station and store. The ice house at Foxton.
 Page 22 – “Views of the Alkive? House, Foxton,” shows mainline and siding of railroad.
 Page 25 – Washed out track between Pine Grove and Buffalo.
 1Page 27 – Three Photos: Flood damage on the track near Peterhead.
 Page 28 – Ferndale Station
 Page 48 – Conductor and his train
 Page 62 – View of ‘Ferndale’ sign and woman standing in front.
 Page 68 – Track and water tank between Ferndale and Riverview.
 Page 71 – Engine #9 pulls a train past Council rock.
 Page 78 – Boy sits atop Ferndale sign.
 Page 79 – “Looking up river from the Ferndale foot bridge.”
 Page 80 – “Edith ready for the trip back to Ferndale,” shows a young girl by a train car.
 Page 86 – “In Ferndale Station.”
 Page 89 – Cannonball rock, near Peterhead.
 *Page 90 – Looking upstream at “Cannon Ball,” track and river in immediate foreground.
 *Page 93 – Foxton station, buildings and foot bridge from across the river from the tracks.
 Page 100 – Ferndale Station
 Page 101 – Cathedral Spires (similar view to handcar crew in Poor’s book)
 *Page 102 – Cathedral Spires viewed “from a hill in front of Ferndale,” shows tracks far below.
 Page 103 – Peterhead station, houses and the new bridge.
 Page 104 – Foxton homes, track and river.
 Page 110 – Buffalo Peak and Smith home. Buffalo station and track.
 Page 112 – Smith’s Ice Cream Stand, Buffalo.
 Page 113 – Hotel Buffalo, “this hotel burned down Christmas 1912,” shows mainline and siding.
 Page 123 – Foxton station from across the river.
 *Page 125 - Looking up the canon from a mine just below Estabrook.
 Page 126 – Bridge below Estabrook.
 *Page 128 – “Engineers Curve”
 *Page 130 – Cathedral spires and track.
 *Page 131 – “The Chinese Wall,” a feature just upriver from the Cathedral Spires.
 Page 135 – Strontia Springs Hotel and Pavilion.
 *Page 136 – “Canon above Strontia Springs.” “A half mile above Strontia.”
 1*Page 137 – “The bridge above Strontia.” “The big rocks above the bridge.”
 Page 138 – “South Platte just after the hotel burned.”
 1Page 139 – Dome rock and tracks below. “Dome Rock Station.”
 Page 143 – Shawnee station
 *Page 144 – “Glenisle looking upstream.” “The (Glenisle) Hotel.”
 *Page 146 – “Looing upstream toward Glenisle,” viewed from a large hill just downriver.
 Page 150 – “Ferndale from the top of Cathedral.”
 Page 156 – “South Platte at train time.”
 1Page 157 – “Eagle rock, looking downstream,” (Nighthawk branch).
 1Page 158 – Two photos: “The narrows,” Nighthawk branch.
 Page 162 – Tracks and Stagecoach along Nighthawk branch and Eagle rock.
 Page 163 - Tracks and Stagecoach along Nighthawk branch and Eagle rock.
 *Page 164 – Washington Rock and Persse Place, “Photo by Mrs. Browining.”
 Page 165 – Track and Ferndale station “from the porch of the Peter’s house.”
 Page 166 – Ferndale station and track.
 Page 179 – “Near Buena Vista, Winter of 1912-13.” “Conductor Williams” next to #9.
 *Page 183 – Tracks and siding at “Romley, Colo.” “Tracks above St. Elmo.”
 Page 186 – Passenger train “coming to Ferndale.”
 Page 191 – “The curve of track . . . at Ferndale.”
 Page 193 – Track and cannonball rock.

Box 2
 Page 202 – Waiting for the train at the Ferndale Station.
 1Page 203 – “The pavilion at Strontia Springs.” “On Strontia bridge,” (foot bridge).
 1Page 204 – Walking the rails at Ferndale.
 Page 205 – More views at Ferndale.
 Page 208 – Multiple views at Council rock.
 *Page 209 – Large boulder in stream next to tracks.
 Page 215 – Ladies beside a passing train.
 *Page 219 – Track near “Chinese Rocks.” Track at the base of Cannonball rock. Standing beside the track.
 Page 224 – Ladies at the Ferndale station.
 *Page 225 – “From Kenosha looking through Hoosier toward Mt. Evans and Logan.” Top of Kenosha on stem of “y.”
 *Page 226 – “Como Station.” “Como from the “y,” backing in.
 *Page 227 – “The tiny station at Dickey.” “Snow shed #2”, Boreas Pass. “Into Shed #6 going west.”
 *Page 228 – “Backing into Kokomo.”
 *Page 230 – “7th Street, Leadville.” “Kokomo” “Near Boston Mine, out of Kokomo.”
 *Page 231 – “Looking back toward Leadville near MP 140.”
 *Page 233 – “Shed #10, Boreas Pass.” “Shed #8, looking west.”
 *Page 234 – “Out of snow shed #7.” “Looking up to #7.” “In #5, looking up to #6.”
 *Page 235 – “Peabody’s curve #1.”
 *Page 236 – “Peabody’s curve #2.” “Hydraulic Placer Mining, Peabody’s tie siding.” “Looking back to Peabody’s placer mining.”
 *Page 237 – Como Depot. Como Yards. “Leaving Como, from the “y.”
 *Page 239 – “On the side track near Kenosha.” “Conductor Williams.” “Home Again,” (Ferndale).
 Page 254 – Images of the “Moffat Road.”
 *Page 269 – Walking the track near Ferndale
 *Page 270 – Track about a mile below Estabrook.
 Page 272 – Track somewhere (probably) below Estabrook.
 Page 273 – River and track in canon.
 *Page 275 – “A curve of track near Estabrook.”
 1Page 279 – Repair crew “between Pine and Buffalo.” “Train crew poses for camera.”
 *Page 280 – Four pictures show a repair crew “just below Chinese wall.”
 Page 281 – More repair crew pictures.
 1Page 282 – “Bridge over Resort Creek at Stone Spur.”
 *Page 283 – Ferndale track by bridge, (very rephotographable).
 1Page 284 – “Station and store at Longview.”
 *Page 290 – “The work train at Ferndale.”
 Page 297 – Peterhead quarries.
 Page 298 – “Cottages at Peterhead.” “Foxton station.”
 *Page 299 – “Pine Grove.”
 Page 311 – More views of track at Ferndale bridge.
 Page 316 – Eastbound train near . . . Ferndale?
 1*Page 320 – Two photos of a train coming up Platte Canon near “Chinese Wall.”
 Page 321 – Another view of Ferndale bridge.
 *Page 323 – Track at MP 38. Track just below Council rock.
 Page 324 – Track at Council rock.
 1Page 331 – “Just beyond the water tank near Riverview.”
 *Page 333 – Views of Buffalo and tracks.
 Page 334 – Ferndale station.
 Page 346 – Ferndale station.
 Page 350 – Many views of Strontia Springs (no RR tracks)
 *Page 366 – “The ‘cut’ above Buffalo.”
 Page 371 – Views looking down on Peterhead.
 *Page 376 – View looking upstream from Foxton.
 *Page 380 – “A mile above Ferndale.”
 Page 384 – More views of Ferndale.
 Page 395 – Colling off by the RR bridge.
 Page 400 – Track at MP 38.
 Page 401 – Foxton station.
 Page 410 – Track at Ferndale bridge.
 Page 425 – More views at Ferndale bridge.
 Page 426 – More views at Ferndale station, including a passing train.
 Page 430 – Cheeseman Dam.
 Page 434 – Postcard showing Bailey’s.
 Page 437 – Early pikes peak highway memorabilia.
 Page 442 – Postcards of Loveland, CO and the Town of Estes Park.

Daniel

Re: Ferndale the Moving Flag Stop in Platte Canon

I forgot about this c1900 DPL photo:

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/74401/rec/1340

I envy you folks who live in the Denver area. What I wouldn't give to spend a couple of days in the DPL, to explore the photos not available online.

Thanks for the photos and catalog of the George Diary, Daniel.

Re: Ferndale the Moving Flag Stop in Platte Canon

Keith Hayes
Jim, I simply don't know where to start. Kindig'so pics are there now. No plans (money) to digitize them.

Re: Ferndale the Moving Flag Stop in Platte Canon

Southpark
The R.H. Kindig negative collection is not at the Denver Public Library.  A few of his prints may be in the library collection.
Tom Klinger

Re: Ferndale the Moving Flag Stop in Platte Canon

Platte Canyon Memories-there were several photos with 2 teenage girls clowning around- I believe one of them was named Fern.

Re: Ferndale the Moving Flag Stop in Platte Canon

Daniel Frauenhoff
I should clarify that my list is not every photograph which appears in the diary but rather all the ones that include the railroad in some way.

Daniel

Re: Ferndale the Moving Flag Stop in Platte Canon

South Park
  I thought Kindig's collection went to a private person and was out of reach
the general enthusiast.  No ?
"Duty above all else except Honor"