Electric power in Como?

Paul R.
Hello all,
I have had a quick scroll through the subjects and can't find the answer-Do any of the experts know when the Como  Pacific Hotel and the depot have electric power , If so when and where from-Roundhouse generator? The reason is I am ready to light my Hotel and Depot and want to be reasonably correct, I will be using leds for lighting. Paul R.

Re: Electric power in Como?

Jim Courtney
Paul,

I certainly don't know the answer to your question, but bet that some photos of your models would likely increase the responses.

Re: Electric power in Como?

Re: Electric power in Como?

… and also Rick Steele’s post a couple of entries on in the same thread….

Re: Electric power in Como?

Paul R.
Jim and all,
I will try and organize some photos tomorrow.-I have just looked at the subjects mentioned , not until the 1960 , that's late. In that case Kero lanterns would have been the only lighting in the rr era, Switching would have been dangerous at night!! Paul R.

Re: Electric power in Como?

Robert McFarland
Notice in the 1880s photo of the Como Roundhouse the two locomotive headlights mounted on the wall

Re: Electric power in Como?

Robert McFarland
Quoting Paul R. "Switching would be dangerous at night!!"Denver in the early 1880s experimented with  Arc lamps mounted on tall towers somewhat like the floodlight towers mounted along modern freeways.One of these towers was located near the DSP&P yards and there were Arc lamps mounted on  the tower of Denver Union Station.Denver Union Station had electric lighting in the early 1880s.The Brush Arc lamp system didn't last long because there were lots of problems.

Re: Electric power in Como?

Todd Hackett
Robert McFarland wrote
Notice in the 1880s photo of the Como Roundhouse the two locomotive headlights mounted on the wall
The photo was taken by George Mellen, ca 1885. Only one headlight is fully visible, but you can see the chimney of the other behind the locomotive. Some remnants of the attachments are still visible.

Re: Electric power in Como?

There was no significant electricity in Como until after the railroad era, IREA came up her in the 1940's.

The generator in the Roundhouse was well after the Pacific and lit it seems 3 lightbulbs.

Oil lamps.

Re: Electric power in Como?

Rick Steele
You might want to correct me on this, but I believe that I read that Como was the last city in Colorado to receive electric power. I heard a late 1950's date, but that is heresay. You might want to check it out.

Rick

Re: Electric power in Como?

ComoDepot
I have photos from the 1940's showing electricity  in Como.

My understanding is that South Park was supplied initially in 2 directions, from Summit County over Hoosier to Fairplay and with IREA who basically worked their way up US285 from the north I do not know when the supply from Summit came in. IREA also came in from Colorado Springs.

There was a talk about the history of IREA, wish I had attended.