Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Chris Walker
I wonder too.  I also would like to know what the date of the photo is.
Fred,

are you meaning any more specific than the 1909 Glidden Tour?  Looks like July-August given the lack of snow in the Waldorf and Mt McClellan pictures.  You could search Colorado Newspapers for the actual dates they were in Colorado since the party ascended Pikes Peak by Auto as well.  Additional images in this collection show the entourage stuck in mud out in Kansas, dated July.

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Fred52

Chris: Thanks for your response. Are those two pictures of the Argentine Central?
Fred Cotterell

On Feb 18, 2018 9:59 PM, "Chris Walker [via C&Sng Discussion Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wonder too.  I also would like to know what the date of the photo is.
Fred,

are you meaning any more specific than the 1909 Glidden Tour?  Looks like July-August given the lack of snow in the Waldorf and Mt McClellan pictures.  You could search Colorado Newspapers for the actual dates they were in Colorado since the party ascended Pikes Peak by Auto as well.  Additional images in this collection show the entourage stuck in mud out in Kansas, dated July.

https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A155051/datastream/IMAGE/view

https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A154943/datastream/IMAGE/view

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Early-C-S-Water-Tank-Paint-Schemes-tp3357p10927.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML
Ohio Creek Extension

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Chris Walker
Yes  Fred, and they are now in the correct thread where they belong.  You were pretty quick off the mark to catch that error of mine with your quote.

P.S.  The DetroitPL have the date as 1909-07 on most of those pictures.

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Fred52

Chris:
I guess reading posts on here pays off. Lol. I kinda figured that they weren't of the the C&S. Those Shay locos. . Lol.
Fred Cotterell.

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Early-C-S-Water-Tank-Paint-Schemes-tp3357p10930.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML
Ohio Creek Extension

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Rick Steele
But Remember, Fred, they had to get those shays to Silver Plume somehow. I doubt that it was on a 3' gauge flat car.

I pity the crew that got called to either haul them up to the Plume or run them down to Denver for disposition. It puts the concept of "Hours of Service" in a whole new light. I am going for a crew change at Golden after 16 hours on duty from Silver Plume, and then another crew into Denver.

Rick

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Robert McFarland
C&NW 25,a Shay,was tested on the C&S.There's a picture of it at Breckenridge.

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

South Park
" ... But Remember, Fred, they had to get those shays to Silver
Plume somehow. I doubt that it was on a 3' gauge flat car.  ..."

  What other options were there besides hot air balloons (like they
used to move the Como depot up from Denver ) ........... or
disassembling them and hauling them out in parts ?

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Fred52

Lol...love the irony...I think they might have hired the eminent CW militey balloonist Dr. Lowe to assist with the move of the Como depot.
Fred Cotterll

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Early-C-S-Water-Tank-Paint-Schemes-tp3357p10935.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML
Ohio Creek Extension

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Robert McFarland
Google Ivy Baldwin-Pioneer balloonist,high wire walker over Eldorado Canyon.First man to fly a powered aircraft in Colorado.First American Airman to get shot down(in the Spanish-American War)In later life  he did a second wire walk over the canyon.

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Ken Martin
Rereading this thread after the latest posts Jeff made a comment on Jefferson being shown as buff/brown from an Otto Kuhler painting.
I have a Richard Jackson slide from Chione showing Jefferson depot in 1943. I cropped it and lightened the shadows and it looks more white but probably gray and green trim.

Ken Martin

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Robert McFarland
Is that a window mounted air conditioner?

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

John Greenly
looks like maybe one of those old-fashioned screens?   You open the window, put it in at the bottom, spread the two sliding halves out to fit the width and then lower the sash down onto the top of it-- keeps out bugs.

John
Lansing, NY
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Robert McFarland
Do you have pictures of this item?

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Jeff Young
I think that's just unpainted glazing putty where the glass has been recently replaced.

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

John Greenly
Jeff Young wrote
I think that's just unpainted glazing putty where the glass has been recently replaced.
Yes! I bet you're right Jeff.

Cheers,
John
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Jeff Ramsey
I believe the reason of the light band / dark bands scheme is because in 1904 the C & S Ry. reported a spike of expenditure in the shareholders report of accountment of their water service dept. and this is when a majority of the  C&S tanks acquired a flat roof. I think this light/ dark schemes are simply just brand new tubs are of which dipped white staves in finish with black asphaltum treatment on the  hoops. A waiting a standard red scheme "paint" from the B & B dept. with the exception of Forks Creek which is Buff.

Seen in the image is a panatone value of a sample recieved from the ruin of the Webster water tank substructure. Might be a standard of  "Red" for C & S or CB&Q? istructures of the 1920s era? I wonder what French gulch is?  Analysis of this paint sample provided by Andrew Brandon of the NCNGRRM and the "Como Archeological / Genealogical Team". Numerous samples of D&RG and RGS were or are to be analyzed also.

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Hi, Jeff, that looks about right, actually any color in the neighborhood would probably also be right. The railroads often went with whoever could fill an order, to low bid, to whatever they could get, etc.

Also, my understanding of the flat C&S tank roofs is that they already had flat sub roofs under the conical upper roofs, so the C&S just removed and burned the conical roofs rather than try to maintain them in the harsh high country. Economy and skinflint bean counters had a lot of say with stuff like this.

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

nickgully
Could a shay be towed if the side shaft was removed from the trucks?

Just wondering,
 Nick Gully

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

Chris Walker
Yes Nick, just like removing the Mainrods on a normal loco for towing Dead.

Re: Early C&S Water Tank Paint Schemes

The Shay at Breckinridge wasn't being towed-it was running.
12