Crossbucks

Keith Hayes
Anyone got a standard drawing for C&S or D&RGW crossbucks?

The ones that come to mind are in Como. The one on the City side of the crossing is a wood post with wood bucks. The vertical post has a black and white diagonal safety stripe. The down buck (from the City side) says 'Railroad Crossing' and the up buck says 'Look out for the cars.'

On the South Park side of the crossing, the vertical post appears to be steel, and I cannot tell if the signs are wood or metal. If the signs are wood, I would of course make the post out of brass; if they are metal, this might be a nice 3-d printing project.

I have the handy, jiffy Banta Crossbucks kit. His decals say, 'Rail Road' and 'Cross ing,' which he points out that one of the words need not have a space between to span the post. Also, his posts are rectangular, about 6" x 12", and I got some square material, about 8"x8" because that is what I thought I saw in one image. The Como buck appears to be a 6x12.

Any help or photos would be much appreciated. Leadville has a number of crossings, and I figure there needs to be some crossbuck variety. Sadly the valuation sheet has lots of detail regarding the road crossings, boardwalks, and culverts at each street, but no sign info so far as I can tell. Also of note in the Como photos is the highway sign for Colorado 9. Seems like I need to figure out how to create some highway signs too.

Re: Crossbucks

Keith Hayes
Oh, hey, lookie there at the lead photo Darel posted for what I speak of!! Thanks d!

Re: Crossbucks

Keith,

the  D&RGW crossbuck plans are here, I have no idea if these were used in earlier times though sorry.
http://www.drgw.net/gallery/v/DRGWStandardPlans/drgw_standardplans_p140.png.html
and locating of such here
http://www.drgw.net/gallery/v/DRGWStandardPlans/drgw_standardplans_p129.png.html

Click the page to reach full size.

After some thought Keith, and reviewing a few of the back page threads concerning your Leadville Addiction   I wonder if there were any such signs, given the number of crossings and tracks crisscrossing town.

Certainly I can't see any in this picture, and it shows a couple of streets....not even one of those single board "Railway Crossing" or "Railroad Crossing" or "Look Out For The Cars" types.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/3498/rv/singleitem/rec/114

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/29513/rv/singleitem/rec/782

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/11004/rv/singleitem/rec/75

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/31008/rv/singleitem/rec/80
Perhaps the photos are too early and the sign crew ran amuck afterwards

Re: Crossbucks

Rich Townsend
The Burlington Route Historical Society has in its "Std. Sign Sheet No. 1" a drawing that appears to be of the sign you described.

http://www.burlingtonroute.org/store/testing.php?category=sheets&button=Submit

If that link doesn't work it's in the Company Store part of the site, under "Data Sheets." If you go to the store you'll see the crossbuck diagram as the illustration for the entire set of sign drawings.

Re: Crossbucks: Blackhawk.

Chris Walker

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/70879/rv/singleitem/rec/51

Seems that the C&S had more crossing signs at Blackhawk than Leadville:  crossbucks noted at Blackhawk, Selak  and Chase street crossings

Re: Crossbucks: Central City

Jim Courtney
And don't forget the cross bucks at Spring Street in Central, near the original depot and section house:
http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/78658/rv/singleitem

Looks similar to the ones in Blackhawk . . .

Re: Crossbucks

Thank you, all.

Mr. Burlington Route, Don Meeker, set me up with a full set of Burlington-C&S sign standards.

Chris, I am glad I was not missing anything in the photos--and this might explain why there is nothing on the folios regarding signs, either.

Curious that the Burlington standard calls for black lettering on white, yet the CC examples in Black Hawk and Central are white lettering on black?

Re: Crossbucks

Jim Courtney
White lettering on black crossbucks would likely be more visible in snow.

Re: Crossbucks

Keith Hayes
...and at night!

Re: Crossbucks

Rich Townsend
The white on black might be from the Union Pacific days, or maybe even the CC's own standard.

Re: Crossbucks

The one left in Como is a concrete post with wooden sign.

Re: Crossbucks: West of Leadville

Re: Crossbucks: West of Leadville

Keith Hayes
Well that is neat!

Re: Crossbucks: Railway Crossing Signs.

Chris Walker
Keith,

did you notice in the full view that there were Crossbucks protecting the Midland crossing in the background?
The other one I remembered....but couldn't find earlier... in the GLBeam coll.  That odd Road sign may be County or auto club specific though.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/30010/rv/singleitem/rec/23

as you were.

Re: Crossbucks: West of Leadville

Dave Grandt posted D&RG Standard Plans of this type on the NGDGF see:
  http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,309094,309137#msg-309137