Como Sandhouse

Tim B
Hi Everyone,

Up in Como we are putting together some plans for the future. Part of those plans include replicating the Sandhouse seen below in the center.

Later the buildings in that location seemed to have merged according to the photo below and the map.

Does anyone here know about the history of the sandhouse "buildings"? Any more photos or drawings? Mainly looking for overall dimensions. If someone had access to the ICC info on these building(s) that would be most helpful as well.

Thanks Guys

Re: Como Sandhouse

Dave Eggleston
DSP&P (UP) records of 1886 had it at 12.5x26.5.
DL&G records of the early 1890s had it at 12x26.

Do you have access to the 1917 ICC Inventory, specifically the Engineering Notes/Report? I don't but suspect that that would possibly provide more details on construction.

The problem right now is that the Archives in VA are closed due to the pandemic, for the foreseeable future. Perhaps someone on the forum (Rick Steele?) has the Report and can share that page(s).

Dave Eggleston
Seattle, WA

Re: Como Sandhouse

SteveG
Mike Blazek's Como notebook lists a sand storage house (nearer the roundhouse) with a footprint of 24' x 38', and a sand house with a footprint of 12' 4" x 77', plus a 12 x15 addition, which would align with your second photo, as of 1888.
But the first photo seems to show very different structures. Note also the different locations of the flues on the blacksmith shop, which is absent on the map entirely.
Go figure...

Steve Guty
Lakeway, TX

Re: Como Sandhouse

Rick Steele
I gave this info to Tim on the NGDF. I might as well post it here as well.

Rick

Re: Como Sandhouse

Jeff Ramsey
Rick, as you probably know the B&B roster for 1894 is unavailable. Can you remember if that is where  "Oil house 1907' addition to the sand house and store house is hand written by in?

Re: Como Sandhouse

Rick Steele
Hi Jeff,

Good Memory you have there.

Yes, B&B and other structures, November 1, 1894 Lists:

Hand written notation on the right margin of page 46:

Oil House 14 x 24 - June, 07

I did not find anything for a store house on the 1886 or 1894

Rick