Caboose 1009 and Stock Car 7064

Kurt Maechner
Does anyone know the background (or know where I can find it) on how C&S caboose 1009 and stock car 7064 were saved and brought to the Colorado Railroad Museum?
Thanks for any info,
Kurt

Re: Caboose 1009 and Stock Car 7064

Rick Steele
Kurt,

From what I understand, Bob Richardson found the 1009 on blocks in a Buena Vista junk yard and rescued it. There are photos of it there.

The RGS/C&S stock 7064 was obtained by Bob at the same time as the 42. This was one of the few truss rod stock cars that the RGS got from the Victor Miller settlement with the C&S.

Rick

Re: Caboose 1009 and Stock Car 7064

Kurt Maechner
Thanks!  What exactly was the Victor Miller settlement all about?

Re: Caboose 1009 and Stock Car 7064

Steve Black
The way I understand it, and this is the very quick version, was Miller was the receiver for the RGS and he approached the owners of the C&S about keeping the South Park main open and running. In order for him to forget about the proposition, C&S gave him a bunch of  freight cars and the C&S went ahead and got permission to abandon the South Park line.
Steve Black Springdale, AR

Re: Caboose 1009 and Stock Car 7064

Todd A Ferguson
The Miller cars came to Victor Miller after the C&S broke an agreement with Miller regarding operating the South Park route.  Miller received the cars from the C&S and then leased them to the RGS where he was the Receiver.  I believe he died in an auto accident several years later.  The whole story is in one of the many RGS books, but I don't recall which one off hand.

Some of the cars were supposedly never relettered RGS and some may have been resold during or before WWII...