C&S reefer 1108

Todd A Ferguson
Hi guys,

I’m looking for any photos of phase III reefer 1108 in the 30s.  None in the Narrow Gauge Pictorial. What have you got?

Todd

Re: C&S reefer 1108

Jim Courtney
Todd,

I checked all my photo files, no photos of 1108 at all.

Re: C&S reefer 1108

Todd A Ferguson
Jim, thanks for looking.  I have not found a photo either and may just have to make my best guess as to how weathered the paint and lettering might be by October 1940.  I guess it might help if I knew when the 1108 was last repainted.  From photos in the Grandt book it appears that could be over a few year period, maybe 5-7 years.

I don’t ever recall any photos of the ex C&S cars as stored unused on the RGS before being sold in 1942.  I guess they were just not considered important enough to photograph.

Re: C&S reefer 1108

Keith Hayes
Todd, I suggest searching for 'refer' in both the main page and on the forum.

The war was on and Otto was busy delivering mail. Photos of trains were discouraged for security reasons. Plus film and chemicals were in short supply, hence few photos for us from the 1942-45 period.

Re: C&S reefer 1108

Todd,

1108 went to the RGS in 1938, wasn't used just stored on a siding un-relettered until sold in 42.  I think Hagens; photos either(partial or full) along with the string of cars were around on the net, that I found, but moved on from.

Re: C&S reefer 1108

Doug Heitkamp
Here are some notes on the SUF reefers:

1108, 1113, 1116 part of settlement with RGS Lawsuit. To RGS Sept. 1938.

1113 = 2101 sold to Don Dover, Ft. Lupton in the 1970s.
1116 = 2102 to outfit in 1940 Scrapped 1952(?).
1108 = 2103 never relettered from C&S sold to Chicago Freight Car Parts in 1942.

1108, April 25, 1938 Globe “repair running board. Renew double course roof. Repair door posts “B”  and right side “A” end right side - $55.00”

Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: C&S reefer 1108

Todd A Ferguson
Thanks Doug!  1108 seems to have been camera shy as I have not located a photo of it yet.  Do you know the month that 2102 was converted to MofW service in 1940.  That one is on my to model list for Sn3.  Then I plan a couple On3 circa 1910-1915 too.  Those will be backdated to pre safety appliances as Mr. Poole described on the blog.

Todd