C&S Refrigerator Car 1113 History: C&Sng at the CRRM

C&S Refrigerator Car 1113 History: C&Sng at the CRRM

Kurt Maechner
Back in September of 2023 my family had the chance to visit the Colorado Railroad Museum. Since I hadn't been to the museum since my teens (in the 1990s), this was my first visit with the only known C&S narrow gauge refrigerator car in existence (It was acquired by CRRM in 2002). One side and end is painted for the C&S where the car began its life while the other side and end is painted for the Rio Grande Southern where it spent the second part of its revenue life.

The video I made below tells the main pieces of the car's history.

To read more about C&S 1113's journey from the C&S to the RGS and the Sundown and Southern and finally CRRM, check out this blog post and the links there.

Enjoy!
Kurt

Re: C&S Refrigerator Car 1113 History: C&Sng at the CRRM

Keith Hayes
The Musem just approved a budget that includes a new roof for 1113, and I bet a new coat of paint is in the forecast.

Re: C&S Refrigerator Car 1113 History: C&Sng at the CRRM

Kurt Maechner
I'm glad to hear that. I had seen pictures of 1113 in gleaming yellow and was a bit bummed to see it looking quite faded on our visit.

Re: C&S Refrigerator Car 1113 History: C&Sng at the CRRM

Al Pomeroy
Considering it received a new roof Circa 2012, sad to see it didn't last. perhaps Norm can give us some in site into the material used (Southern yellow pine) or (Douglas Fir) and what the plan is going forward.  I have had some experiences with dried southern yellow pine rotting from w/in on my former Caboose.

Re: C&S Refrigerator Car 1113 History: C&Sng at the CRRM

Car #1113 sat by itself on display in Ridgway for years near where the depot had been. Until sometime in the 70's as I recall.

Re: C&S Refrigerator Car 1113 History: C&Sng at the CRRM

Kurt Maechner
Yes, 1972, I believe. That's when Don Drawer bought it for his Sundown and Southern project.

Re: C&S Refrigerator Car 1113 History: C&Sng at the CRRM

Almost a miracle that it has survived!

Re: C&S Refrigerator Car 1113 History: C&Sng at the CRRM

Kurt Maechner
Two bits of information have come to me since posting the video:

Jerry Albers noted, "The car was actually donated to Don Drawer by the D&RGW because it was sitting on their ROW in Ridgway and was “in the way”. It sat there for some 20 years. I tried to obtain the car but did not contact the correct people with the Rio Grande. Don got the car a few months ahead of me…..but I was able to purchase caboose 0400 which was moved back into town for the filming of True Grit in 1968. I bought it in 1973." (My video incorrectly states that Drawer purchased 1113. I have added the correction in the description of the video)

Bill Gould noted, "During my tenure as ED at the CRRM we went to the auction at the Sundown and Southern. We were fortunate enough to have a Museum benefactor with us who would cover our bids. I bid and we won the Gramps tank car, C&S Refrigerator car 1113, parts of two water tanks and track parts. Interesting was we trucked our 3 foot gauge Plymouth (Pee Wee} switcher to the S&S to move and load the cars on to flatbeds. Running on the S&S trackage that was in place."

Re: C&S Refrigerator Car 1113 History: C&Sng at the CRRM

drgwcs
Kurt Maechner wrote
[...]

I actually have a pic my Dad took of caboose 0400 when it was in "True Grit" paint for the MKT in 1970

Jim C
Jim Curran