Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

ComoDepot
The Society has the Boxcar on loan, sounds like the Forestry Service have no plans to take it back, very good condition major issue is paint.

So here are photos, the FS are up to us changing any historical inaccuracies but otherwise it is to look the same.

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

Jim Courtney
How about a photo or two of the weathered Murphy roof, if you have a chance . . .

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

Recovered this afternoon and now in Como.

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

ComoDepot

Will take more photos tomorow.

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

Ken Martin
Dimensions for Block lettering from CRRM.

Ken Martin

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

jason midyette
In theory, the lettering presently on the car was made using the lettering diagram from the CRRM (the one posted above) as a guide. Will be interesting to see how it compares.

I have always questioned whether or not the black trucks and hardware were correct. I know that the St. Charles built boxcars (1898) were delivered with black trucks and hardware but always thought that the C&S built cars were entirely freightcar red from the get go.
Would be interested to know if anyone has any definitive information one way or the other. The plan is to repaint C&S 8311 in the block letter scheme, essentially as it looked when new. (this is how it was painted in 1997 when the new body was built, the paint that it still wears today)

Jason Midyette

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

Keith Hayes
I cite Mr. Poole as the authority  here. Check the articles on the main page, particularly his series on refers for clues.

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

Richard Farmer
The subject of color on Railroad equipment has been a challenge for us on our caboose project. Unless there is a sample and someone knowledgeable in mixing/analyzing colors to achieve the desired result it can be a hit or miss proposition. We know that photos can’t always be relied on to give an accurate color, variation in photo equipment, lighting and a variety of other issues all have an effect on the end result.
When we acquired 1008 we received a number of emails asking if we knew what color it was before its rebuild. We found a fair amount of yellow peeking out from under the C&S caboose red. And when the 1006 crew found the sample of yellow and numbering style under the header cover above the door that pretty much sealed the deal when talking about DSP&P Waycars.
1008 did not come with any hardware below the body of the car. When we visited 1006 in Silver Plume to measure & photograph with the intent of using this information as the model for our car we found the under frame stuff to be mostly black except for the triple valve and the brake cylinder which looked to be still in red primer.
Since then things have become even a bit more confusing. I have a photo of 1009 at the CRRM with the pedestals and other under the body stuff painted the same C&S caboose red as the body. Currently the 1006 pedestals, wheels and springs have a nice coat of a brown from what I am able to tell from their Facebook page.
We have continued to paint journals, springs and visible brake components black. We chose this color based on the one color photo of a C&S bobber I have ever seen, 1003. The photo was listed on eBay a while back and I unfortunately didn’t get it or I would post it here. Everything  below the body was black, pedestals, journal boxes, springs and brake parts.
I don’t know if this will be of any help to Jason or not when trying to pick the exact paint color for the trucks, I hope so.
Richard Farmer

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

jason midyette
Looking over all of Mr. Poole's articles, the conclusion I would come to is that the Reefers were the only c&s built cars to be painted anything other than freightcar red with white lettering.  I see no evidence of the 1907 - 1910 built coal cars, boxcar or stockcars having black hardware or trucks.

Thus, unless someone can offer proof to the contrary, C&S 8311 will be repainted freightcar red in its entirety, no black trucks, no black grabirons etc.

Jason Midyette

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

Jim Courtney
That is my believe, too.

Even the St Charles cars, when shopped, where painted freight car red throughout.

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

Kurt Maechner
This is really exciting news.
Are there any photos or video of the car traveling from the summit downgrade?

Re: Boxcar Paint Scheme - 8311

ComoDepot
Lots of photos and more of the story on the Como Depot Facebook page, also posted 4 side shots here is one of the roof.