Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Jeff Young
I fell in love with part of a picture Chris posted earlier on the "ID this water tank thread":

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/3381/rec/14

Trouble is, I model the High Line, not Clear Creek.  I think there was also an oil depot/storage facility in Morrison, so they don't appear to have been Colorado Central-specific.  Anyone know of one anywhere in Platte Canyon, South Park, the Blue River valley or Ten Mile Canyon?

Thanks,
Jeff.

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Jim Courtney
Jeff,

In the 1920s, Baileys had a Conoco gasoline storage tank on the north side of the siding, towards the west end. Then as today, the highway from Denver to Fairplay descended Crow Hill and followed the South Platte all the way to Kenosha Pass. That made Baileys an ideal auto fueling spot. Not aware of any others in Platte Canon. Photo is from the 1930s with the scraping train.

On the Highline, the only petroleum storage facilities on the C&SnG that I know of was at Breckenridge. The enlargement below, I believe was from DPL, dated about 1900 (unlettered UP boxcars, new C&S St Charles coal cars at the left foreground. Two storage tanks are visible, large silver tank to the left, small dark, domed tank to the right. We discussed this photo sometime in the past, earlier this year. I don't recall the consensus of what was stored here, as it seemed too early for gasoline.

I'll try to find the DPL references and a link to the past discussion.

Thanks for your help in resizing the photos, perhaps it is paying off!

Jim

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Jeff,
Looks like while I was composing this and digging out the link, Jim beat me to it haha....

I had found one at Breckenridge but it was t-o-c and doesn't show in later pictures, see: http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Another-Oil-tank-tp1112.html

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/2506/rv/singleitem/rec/302

There was one Conoco Dealer at Baileys in later years but again only shows in a few photos, Dave Grandt might have a better picture of it than this one.

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/42967/rv/singleitem/rec/8

Then there were two at Leadville but again only show partly in photos.

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/77076/rv/singleitem/rec/1

Photo copyright and courtesy of Colorado School of Mines.

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Jim Courtney
Wow, it's already morning in New Zealand??

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Robert McFarland
Did Como have one?

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Ahem. Nolin Library is at the University of Colorado at Boulder where George Nolin was once president or chancellor. I don't know the name of the library at Mines, but it is interesting to see they appear to have a searchable photo collection.

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Keith, error in attributation fixed, and the Uni of Boulder library is the Norlin.

Robert,  never seen pictures of anything in Como, maybe they just decanted straight into drums for the Stone Garage given the "Door to Door" proximity.
However there probaby was a Conoco Dealer in either Garos, Fairplay or Alma, but I have never seen photos of it.   Several photos of CONX 5 wrecked on the line south of Como do exist.  There was a CONOCO sign visible in town of Fairplay but more that of a Garage/Gas Station.

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Jeff Young
Thanks, everyone.

So, probably not common enough to “imagine” one at Jefferson, Silica or Kokomo, but certainly common enough to run some tank cars on their way to Breck or Leadville.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

CM Auditor
Folks,
Dan Edwards found the "oil" unloading point for mines along the Mineral Belt between 5th and 6th streets in Leadville along the Star Ditch where kerosene from the Rocky Mountain Oil Company located in Overton, just north of Pueblo along the DT&G/C&S in the early 90s.  Adrian Hunthausen confirmed the efforts of that company in convincing the Leadville mine owners to switch from coal to kerosene as a lower cost means for providing power to the mines.  Yes, the delivery was in standard gauge cars, but the site was in the DL&G yards.

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Bill Uffelman
Interesting comparison of different boxcar types and lettering too. First and fourth cars appear to be same type but ride height of fourth is lower -- loaded versus empty or ????

I really appreciate your photo postings.

Bill Uffelman
Ocean View DE

On Friday, October 16, 2015 6:51 AM, Chris Walker [via C&Sn3 Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Jeff,

http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Tank-Car-Destinations-td35.html

Conx 14 and Conx 5 at the rear.  Who really needs an excuse to haul those around?

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/43086/rv/singleitem/rec/1886

http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Any-oil-depots-on-the-High-Line-Denver-Leadville-tp3667p3680.html
To start a new topic under C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Jeff Young
Thanks for the pointer to the other thread, Chris.

Bill, note on the 4th car that the two lighter areas under the doors go straight down, as opposed to the more sloped shape of the journal boxes on the other cars.  I read that as them being needle beams and/or queen posts rather than journal boxes, and that the 4th car is therefore a truss frame (whereas the first three are steel under frame).

The lack of prominent journal boxes on that car might also suggest that it’s a phase 1 (with arch bar trucks), but that would be pushing the envelope a bit more.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Assuming I’m reading the tea-leaves correctly, it appears that pre-automobile oil usage was primarily for steam generation (i.e.: oil-fired boilers), presumably for lift shafts, air compressors, mill operations, etc.  This type of use would have encouraged smaller storage facilities at points-of-use (i.e.: mines and mills), rather than larger distribution points in towns.

What about electricity generation?  I know the San Juans were pioneering in this area (particularly with AC), and there’s the power plant at Curtin (although that one is coal fired).  Anyone know of any oil-fired electric plants in the 1890’s through 1920’s?

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Bill Uffelman
I shifted from my phone to the computer and now see my error. I was thrown by first and fourth cars having the same lettering style. Thanks for straightening me out. The differences are what makes the C&S such a great source for modeling inspiration.

Bill Uffelman

http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Any-oil-depots-on-the-High-Line-Denver-Leadville-tp3667p3685.html
To start a new topic under C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

So, probably not common enough to “imagine” one at Jefferson, Silica or Kokomo, but certainly common enough to run some tank cars on their way to Breck or Leadville.

If you're modeling the mid to late 1920s, lettering might be an issue though, the big CONOCO didn't come around until the early 1930s, then green letters on silver cars, as in Chris's Morrison CONOCO thread.  I believe Doug Heitkamp posted this photo of a CONOCO car in the mid to late 1920s:

Jim

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

There is a photo in the Park County Archives photo section showing  the Turner General Store in Garo with a shed beside it with a sign advertising gasoline,but no indication of what company supplied the gas.

Re: Any oil depots on the High Line (Denver/Leadville)?

Love that look.  Might have to make custom decals for it, though.

Cheers,
Jeff.

I believe Doug Heitkamp posted this photo of a CONOCO car in the mid to late 1920s...

Re: One extra at Leadville....

Chris Walker
Roper's cousin in Leadville led me to this "extra" tank adjacent the Roundhouse there.  Suitably monogrammed as well.

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/79815/rv/singleitem/rec/10

Re: One extra at Leadville....

Keith Hayes
Well, there is an excuse to pick up some HO decals! That is what I did for my Rio Grande Motor Way trailer too. I looked for N-scale decals, but alas could not find what I needed at Caboose Hobbies.

Re: One extra at Leadville....

They've even got it on the light pole-Kilroy Was Here!!
12