2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

Todd Hackett
There were some nice layouts on the tours for the National Narrow Gauge Convention this past week in Denver. I took a few photos on some of them. Full-size images of all photos are here. I'll leave them there for a month or two, but if Randy or Keith want any, download them now while they're there. So far it's just the two C&S layouts (both from members of this forum) but I'll add a few more. Here are some samples:

From Keith Hayes' Sn3 layout featuring Leadville:

From Randy Rieck's On3 layout of Buena Vista and Chalk Creek Canyon:

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

Paul R.
Love all those photo's, especially the St Elmo ,Romley ones, and of course Leadville I like all photo's of the C&S to see all the different ways we model these areas. More photo's please!! Paul R.

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

pizlinard72
Thank you Todd
For sharing these images. The quality and level of detail is wonderful.
Any news from clinics and manufacturers with regards to C&S?
Wishing everybody a great week!
Christian

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

Lee Gustafson
A very big thank you to Keith Hayes and Randy Rieck for opening their homes for layout tours. The quality of work in both of these layouts  is truly impressive. The attention to detail that embraces the prototype and the level of execution at the model building level is outstanding. Again a big thank you to both gentlemen and to Todd for taking pictures and posting.

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

SteveG
Thanks to all the folks who opened up their layouts for the convention! I did make Keith's and wish I'd made Randy's, but spent a fair amount of time out at the peripheries of the tour looking at the full-scale stuff where possible.
I did get a chance to capture some videos of Harry Brunk's layout in Cheyenne (link here); given that converting Harry's DC locomotives to DCC would be problematic, operations are limited to using Blackstone D&RGW engines as the leased engines after the Como roundhouse fire. Still fun to watch trains moving on this layout!
Apologies for the occasional clumsiness in the camera work. I've got some pictures from both the Colorado Railroad Museum and Como that I'll post after I do a little cleanup.

Steve Guty
Lakeway, Texas

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

Any new C&S products in the vendor area?

Did Bill Meredith have any pilot models for the Co-Op kits bor C&S baggage numbers 1 and 2?

Thanks, Todd for posting the great photos!

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

Doug Heitkamp
Jim,

Bill had kits for sale of C&S Baggage Car 1 or 2 along with the 5' 6" C&S trucks. I went home with a car kit and a few sets of trucks!

Roy Stevens was also there with his 3D printed cars - very nice. There wasn't much else new for the C&S but there was a good quantity of used items - Books, brass locos & passenger cars, freight car kits, parts, decals, etc.
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

tonyk375
Mike Horner had his HOn3 layout open also up in Idaho Springs.
Some pics of his Alpine area.

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

Thanks, Todd, for posting these great photos from the Convention tours. I am so sorry I could not participate this year, as I was hospitalized in Loveland for over a month with an adventurous pursuit of a tumor in my gut. Finally got home yesterday, and should be fine, eventually, as there was no trace of cancer.

I would very much like to extend an invitation to all readers of this forum to visit my home and Dickey layout in Fort Lupton. Just contact me to set a time and we will go from there. We are just off highway 52 a mile West of US 85 about 6 miles North of Brighton and maybe 10-12 miles SE of Longmont from I-25. So, not far at all up on the North End.

Thanks much for all the positive support through all this. I would have given anything to have been there with all of you!

Mike

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

Todd Hackett
Mike - It's great to hear that you're on the mend. I would have liked to visit and catch up while I was in town for the convention, but am not ready for the 3000+ mile trip. I'll reach out next time I'm in the area.

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

Mike, I am so glad to hear you are on the mend!

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

Jeff Young
Sorry to hear of your health troubles, Mike.  Glad you’re on the mend!

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

Glad you're recovering from the health issues, Mike!

Look forward to seeing the new trucks on your On3 RPO 13 model!

Re: 2023 Narrow Gauge Convention C&S layouts

Rick Steele
Very nice videos Steve,

We sent a couple of Harry's locos in for a "Tune up" and found out that they are actually pretty worn out. Now we are faced with the questions that face most museums. Do we rebuild Harry's locos for the public? Do we get a couple of Blackstone (or the like) and modify them to look like UC&N locos?

I am actually for getting Blackstone and modifying them. Running Harry's locos on that layout four or six times per day is a quick way to wear them out. That kind of running also shows some of the drawbacks of the Blackstone's as well. Most Model Railroads don't have any where near the running time that the UC&N has. Besides, the Blackstones already have the DCC and stuff that is needed and makes more sense to use them for the general public rather than adding further wear and tear to Harry's original creations.

While you guys were at the NG convention, Mike Pannell and myself went up Clear Creek and spread Harry and his wife Bobbie's ashes because that's where Harry said that he'd like to be. Harry's wife Bobbie died a couple of months after Harry did. Mike and I also rode the Loop on a special run where the train stopped on the High Bridge for a few minutes and gave a whistle salute to Harry. We figured that during the Narrow Gauge Convention, in Denver, was quite an appropriate time.

I am glad to hear that you are on the mend, Mr. Trent. Hopefully I can get some time away from the Model Shop up here and we can have a nice visit.

Rick