old news from 1899

Matt Hutson
From today's Summit Daily News:

125 years ago: Warm weather brings snowmelt and hope for trains to arrive
The warm sunshine of the past week has melted the snow at a rapid rate. The sleigh road between Breckenridge and Como softens up so much during the day that trips to and fro are being now made early in the morning or at night. Word has arrived that the Colorado & Southern Railway’s rotary plow is now on the Summit County side of Boreas Pass and could be here April 16 or 17, barring accidents.

Some of the “most beautiful and realistic snow views” to be seen by this paper were taken by Doctor Scott of Como and are currently with Harry Pitzer of the Denver House. They were taken at different points of the High Line, showing the big rotary plow at work in the big banks of snow and are splendid souvenirs of the great blockade of 1899. Pitzer will be pleased to show anyone the images and is selling them for 50 cents each.

— From the April 15, 1899, edition of the Summit County Journal

Wonder if any of Dr. Scott's pics still exist?

Cheers,
Matt

Re: old news from 1899

Todd Hackett
Matt Hutson wrote
...Wonder if any of Dr. Scott's pics still exist?...
I have about a dozen snow and snowplow Scott negatives, and I think I know of a few others with more, but I don't know which are from this time. I've posted several here in the past. Here's one:

Re: old news from 1899

Jim Courtney
I believe this is one of Dr. Scotts photos of the winter/spring described in the article:

Plowing upgrade at Selkirk trestle.

Dr. Scott is my favorite narrow gauge physician . . .

Re: old news from 1899

Jim, you and Dr. Stears pretty much fill that role for us today..