excursion cars plans??

drgwcs
I seem to remember plans for the C&S excursion cars being printed at one point in one of the magazines but I have not been able to find where. I have tried searching the railroad magazine index but had no luck. Does anyone have any idea?
Thanks so much
Jim Curran

Re: excursion cars plans??

The only plans I recall are the Maxwell 1/4" drawings, his plan number C-115.  I have a set, but it is 12" x 18" and I can't figure out how to scan it on my printer.

Maxwell's plan was a composite derived from C&S Folio sheets fom Folio No. 24. Here is a copy from my set, updated to 1923:

There were several iterations of the observation cars, this folio is for the cars built by the C&S in 1903.

More information on the excursion cars can be found here:

https://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/CandS/cs_obs120-131.htm

https://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/CandS/cc-passenger/excurs_13-18.htm

https://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/CandS/cc-passenger/observ_139-148.htm

Re: excursion cars plans??

drgwcs
Jim Courtney wrote
The only plans I recall are the Maxwell 1/4" drawings, his plan number C-115.  I have a set, but it is 12" x 18" and I can't figure out how to scan it on my printer.

Maxwell's plan was a composite derived from C&S Folio sheets fom Folio No. 24. Here is a copy from my set, updated to 1923:

There were several iterations of the observation cars, this folio is for the cars built by the C&S in 1903.

More information on the excursion cars can be found here:

https://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/CandS/cs_obs120-131.htm

https://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/CandS/cc-passenger/excurs_13-18.htm

https://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/CandS/cc-passenger/observ_139-148.htm
This may be what I was thinking of- I was vaguely thinking I had seen some. That helps tremendously getting dimensions. I did notice that the two summit pics at Mt. McClellan had incomplete info (was looking at these yesterday DPL MCC-682 and 686- Is it just me or is the DPL's enlargement a bit better now?)  143 (listed as 148 on the mid-continent site ) and 131 (listed as unknown.) You can clearly see the slat seats in 131 and the cane in 143
Here is 131

and here is 143

comparing the two- you can see the differences in side framing too. I am assuming looking at the framing the sides on 143 did not show the framing on the interior as on the earlier ones- (as they are noted as poplar stained cherry too which makes more sense being a bit inside)

Now to figure out how to make those cane seats..... and what color were the stripes on the shades........  (although I have an idea on the seats....)

Thanks so much
The other Jim C  (Curran)

Jim Curran

Re: excursion cars plans??

Ken Martin
Here is Maxwell's plan resized to 8x11.
the shades I do not really know the color but would guess green and tan.

Ken Martin

Re: excursion cars plans??

From one Jim C. to another, Godspeed in building your C&S excursion car!

An, oh, BTW, don't forget to add a keg of iced beer to the rear platform--C&S excursionists can get mighty thirsty!

Empire station, 19teens, in the Klingers" Clear Creek book.