early COLX tank cars

Re: early COLX tank cars

John Greenly
That's a tantalizing half of a tank car view.  I can't make much out of it.  No lettering that I can see on the tank,  a handrail right on the equator.  It does look to be a wood-framed car.  I can't make out whether it is fully decked or not, the way the shadows fall.  Is that lettering on the side sill, or just shadows?  These old tank cars are elusive critters.  Thanks for the interesting photo!

John
John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: early COLX tank cars

John Greenly
Hey Jim,

here we go again about the lettering on the tank.  take a look at the photos of
Continental Oil Co. delivery wagons on this page:

http://aoghs.org/energy-education-resources/conocophillips-petroleum-museums/

the lettering on the restored or replica wagon in the museum is very much like  that on the tank car in 1925.  But look at the third photo down the page, the old photo.  That wagon has lettering that uses lower case letters.  In your first photo, of the older tank car,  I'm thinking that I see the first t in Continental as the letter just before the tank band (second band from left), and it looks like the top of the t is projecting above the preceding n, as a lower-case t would.  I think this lettering on that wagon could very well be the same style as on the older tank car.  What do you think, with your better vision?

John

and, yes, somebody has made a model of a wagon of this sort, it would be a nice thing to have in a layout scene:

http://sandcrr.blogspot.com/2015/07/tank-wagons-for-petroleum-distributor.html

John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: early COLX tank cars

John,
I'd be hazarding a guess but I'd be thinking that the Tankcar at Vanadium/Newmire Mill was indeed one of those Standard Chemical Co tanks previously mentioned by Jim here.  http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/early-COLX-tank-cars-tp5270p5275.html  There were plans of these that were published in the Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette Jan/Feb 2000 pg70.

As for my knowledge of the ore-processing, let's just say that it is basic as chemistry is nothing that I'm interested in.  My primary interest is in the Mining and Mill buildings, locations and interaction with the N.G. railroad specifically the C&S and mostly within the Clear Creek mining districts.  The general info on actual milling practices is only something I've picked up on the way (New Zealand was the first to use the cyanide process at Wahi), and consequently I have never really commited the details to memory.

And the model of the Horse-drawn Tankcar: well, Harry Brunk had one lettered for his fictitious Kester Oil Co. on his fabulous UC&N layout, now owned by Rick Steele in the UP Cheyenne Depot