Where did 1008 work?

Richard Farmer
I have been looking for information regarding where caboose 1008 was assigned. I know she worked between Leadville and Climax when the C&S was in the process of converting to standard gauge and I have photos of her in Como and Denver but little else. Did she ever run did she ever run from Denver to Silver Plume over the Loop? Were caboose assigned to only one part of the railroad or randomly selected from the caboose track in Denver as needed? I have heard on some railroads a caboose was assigned to a particular conductor and crew which allowed then to make the interior like home!

Re: Where did 1008 work?

This has been an interesting question Richard.

After dug deep and perusing every photo I have, and all the books in my collection yet to date I can't find one showing #1008 on the Clear Creek line.  There may be some I've missed given the time elapsed or yet to reread, but I'm sorry I haven't had the time to dedicate to this search for you. So I have noted 02/03/05/06/09 on Clear Crk, remember there are numerous photos that I can't ID the road number.

EDIT: The 1009 photo to which I based that inclusion upon was of poorer quality and mislabeled to the location of Golden in N.G.Pictorial v-iii on pg141, it is taken at Leadville.

I would have thought that the Cabeese were assigned given the historical use on other RR's with several being dedicated Park service but not so.  I had sort of gained the impression over the years that '00, '08 and '09 were Park'ers; when specifically looking for '08 I was very surprised to see the others that made the photographers lens up the Creek represent nearly all the fleet.

It would take old knowledge of the operations out of Denver to explain, something that is now lost to history and something I am not so sure I would state as fact.

Photos like you mentioned, were taken of the '08 at Denver, Como, and Leadville. With additional views at Waterton, Alma, Solitude.

W.A.Gibson photo. From the Jim Courtney Collection. Printed pg 195 The Mineral Belt V-II

I'll keep looking.....

Re: Where did 1008 work?

Keith Hayes
When selecting waycars for my pike, the photo evidence indicates that 1000, 1005, 1008 and 1009 were favorites on the South Park. 1003 and 1006 seem to get the Clear Creek assignments.

Re: Where did 1008 work?

Chris Walker
Please note my edit to my Post above: The 1009 photo to which I based the Clear Creek inclusion upon was of poorer quality and mislabeled as to the location of Golden in N.G.Pictorial v-iii on pg141, it was taken at Leadville.

I can't find any other evidence of '09 having been photographed on Clear Creek.  1005 appears in Golden, no doubt apparently trapped in Denver.  The caption on pg129 relates to its use on the Platte Canon scrap train, which is actually one of the Clear Creek scrap trains.

Re: Where did 1008 work?

Jim Courtney
You and Keith seemed to have overlooked 1002.

In the 19teens, riding on a pair of 4 wheel trucks, it was in use on Clear Creek, photographed at Idaho Springs.

Idaho Springs, c.1915, Derrell Poole collection

By the mid to late 1930's, 1002 was a four wheel car and it was photographed in both Denver and at Como, implying use on the south Park, maybe Clear Creek as well.

Como, 8-15-38, Gerald Best collection

Seems like I've seen a photo of 1002 at the rear of a freight at Arvada, heading for Clear Creek, but can't seem to locate it.

Anyone know of any 1920's photos of 1002?  Would be nice to know when the change from 8-wheels to 4 wheels occurred.

Re: Where did 1008 work?

Chris Walker
Jim.....

#1002....up Clear Creek in Mal Ferrell's C&Sng, pg 40 and 74, both 1937 dates, and no, I didn't miss 02 out.    02 was also in the Ten Mile canon DSP&P on pg253.

Keith, #1006 also got to Waterton, see Mineral Belt V-II on pg26

And fwiw, #1008 was on the rear of the last Westbound four-engine freight out of Denver, 8th April,1937.