What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Pat Student

D&RGW 9300 - 9350, first one, ready to go to the paint shop.

Car is representative before being rebuilt between October 1925 and January 1926. The cars interchanged to the C&S below would have been like the model.  At this time of their life, broken U-bolts were not being replaced.

9300 Posts to Fairplay June 1924
9318 Coal to Breckenridge March 1924
9347 Coal to Breckenridge February 1924

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Keith Hayes
I got to see the first of the finished models, and it sure looks sharp! Pat and I stayed up late talking about all manner of things. He has me convinced that the 20s are a neat period to model with all manner of odd cars and lettering schemes on Marshall Pass (and possibly on the South Park, but I will leave that to Pat and Jim).

Also, look for more posts on Pat's modelling and research.

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Jeff Young
Another update on the Jefferson schoolhouse.

Cardstock sub-roof being test-fit to roof superstructure:

Columns for the bell tower (4 layers of styrene on top of tapered wood):

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Bill Uffelman
You will need a school teacher on the porch to usher the kids in. My grandfather born in 1903 had lots of tales about the one room school he went to in Beatrice, Nebraska. Two hole outhouse on the bank above the creek was included in at least one of the tales.

Bill Uffelman

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 5:01 PM, Jeff Young [via C&Sng Discussion Forum]
Another update on the Jefferson schoolhouse.

Cardstock sub-roof being test-fit to roof superstructure:

Columns for the bell tower (4 layers of styrene on top of tapered wood):

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/What-s-On-Your-Bench-1-2018-tp10711p11295.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Jeff Young
Indeed the two-holer for the Jefferson schoolhouse survives to this day (although it’s not near a creek).  I thought I had a picture of it, but I couldn’t locate it….

<<a href="x-msg://5/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=11296&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:
Another update on the Jefferson schoolhouse.

Cardstock sub-roof being test-fit to roof superstructure:

Columns for the bell tower (4 layers of styrene on top of tapered wood):

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/What-s-On-Your-Bench-1-2018-tp10711p11295.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email <a href="x-msg://5/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=11296&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/What-s-On-Your-Bench-1-2018-tp10711p11296.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Bill Uffelman
According to my grandfather the two holder wound up in the creek with a male teacher inside - he denied being one of the boys who pushed it over but got expelled any way.

Bill Uffelman

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 6:05 AM, Jeff Young [via C&Sng Discussion Forum]

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/What-s-On-Your-Bench-1-2018-tp10711p11305.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Pat Student

Permit me to introduce D&RG 9327.  The fresh 'W' is a post 1921 addition.

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Jeff Young
Nice job, Pat!

In a similar vein, 509 and 513 both got renumbered to 1109 and 1113 a few years ago, but only 513's paint was in bad enough shape to warrant a complete re-spray (and the new button-head herald):

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Bill Uffelman
Jeff and Pat - thanks for sharing your great looking work.

Bill Uffelman

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Jeff Young [via C&Sng Discussion Forum]

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/What-s-On-Your-Bench-1-2018-tp10711p11310.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Looking great, Pat!

I like the asymmetrical placement of the gon box on the frame, and the patch job is a nice feature too.

(When Pat and I were talking Friday, I shared that on the South Park, this kind of car would be referred to as a 'coal.' Pat thought about this for a bit and then replied, "so you put a load of lumber in the coal?" Doesn't make sense, but that is what they did. I guess.)

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Pat Student
Keith

Makes about as much sense as the first time one hears locations on a car.  "When you're facing the B-end the left side is on your left and the right side is on your right.  But when you're facing the A-end the right side is on your left and the left side is on your right." That and the foundation brake rigging is drawn from the top looking down.

Pat

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Chris Walker
Finally off the "Bench" after 9 years.....

Started with these at end of March 2009

and now have this

Not quite C&S, but I'm sure these things were shipped in C&S cars, since "every" mine had them.

Funny thing about all this is I now feel flat, I guess it is all about the journey and not the destination.  Sort of like driving across the US to get to Chama after a ten year absence and arrive at 9.30pm.  OK now what?

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Jeff Young
Sweet!  What’s your motive power?

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Chris Walker
2 x 105a/h 24V 2hp chain drive (ex-forklift transplant) with retardation feature and dynamic brakes. Runs at a slow walk on 1:14 grade.
Totally alien to driving the Diesel-Electrics and 25kv Electrics of NZR, going to take some getting used to that's for sure.

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Keith Hayes
Nice paint job. Where did you get the decals?

Re: What's On Your Bench 1:2018

Keith, the deck-ils are computer cut vinyl signs made especially for me.  The benefit of the modern computer age, take a side-on shot, download, put into Paint, play around with the typeface, positioning, wording and colour combinations.  Then email it to the signwriters.  $25 per side, handy hints included on how to apply, great since I haven't deck-illed anything for years and got this within 2mm off centre and 1mm level.  Since I only had one shot at it each side, I thought I was so going to........

even did one for my mate, John Robinson's line.

Cloud City Coal

Inspired by my visit to see Harry Brunk's Union Central and Northern layout in Cheyenne, the thought occured to me to hand letter this sign.

I realized the original would have been hand painted, so why not?

This is just the beginning. More to come.

Re: Cloud City Coal

Don Gustavson II
I like it.
HOn3 is the path I have chosen.
The Nearly Historical Railroad.
http://www.nhrailroad.com/

Re: Cloud City Coal

I did some more sign painting this weekend.

You know how drop shadows sometimes fade differently than the letter strokes? Well I thought I could work with that. First soe red ( brown) drop shadows.

Now some green strokes.

And the final ( for now) product in place.

I thought I would take a stab at the smelter office while I was at it. Got creative with the lettering.

Re: Cloud City Coal

Lee Gustafson
Keith,

I’m impressed hand lettered and shadow lettered on top of that! ( I didn’t realize that could be a pun ) your model building never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me.

Lee Gustafson
1234