Two Railroad Rosters

Re: Two Railroad Rosters, 1886

Fritz 52
Rick:
This really gives me a clearer picture of what existed from Gunnison out to Balwin. It really gives me ideas as to what was there and what i might want to include when i start on what I intend on building for my layout in the very near future.
One question comes to mind for me. Was there ever any picuters or other drawings of some of the structures? The depots all seem to be around the same approximate size, at least dimensionally. Was there a 'standard' floor plan? I would love to find out about that and the engine facilities.
Fred Cotterell
C&S Ohio Creek Sub. R

Re: Two Railroad Rosters, 1886

There are at least two pictures of the Heywood  Springs depot-one is in SOUTH PARK LINE with a Mason Bogie powered train passing it and the other is on the edge of  a DPL photo of Heywood Springs.

Re: Two Railroad Rosters, 1886

When was the Gunnison Roundhouse demolished?

Re: Two Railroad Rosters, 1886

WHJ-430

Re: Two Railroad Rosters, 1886

Rick Steele
This post was updated on .
As far as a "Standard Plan" for buildings, I am sure that there was. Most of the structures were engineered and put into kit form for the B&B crews in the Company's Storehouse. The UP was a big system back then. Standardization saved lots of money for the railroad and assured a uniform look to the company's properties. If you look at the designs of Estabrook, Fisher (Alpine), Como, St. Elmo, Hancock (Romley), Pitkin, Dome Rock, Fort Logan, Buffalo, they all followed the same basic design. There are differences in the way that doors were made, or exterior finish such as Jefferson. From what I have been able to see, the Baggage Depot in Golden was the same basic design as the depot built in Kokomo. Other like depots? Silver Plume and the Depot on the GSL&P at Sunset, these were mirror images of each other. If you look at the big brick CC depots at Fort Collins, Loveland, Georgetown and in a Stone version at Black Hawk, they, too follow the same basic plan. So yes, I would answer your question, Fred, in the affirmative.

The Gunnison Roundhouse shows as standing but in use as a storehouse in the 1917 Valuation. As for its final demolition? It was when the D&RGW was operating the lines to Pitkin and Baldwin as far as I know, But as for an actual date, I can only conjecture that it was pretty much allowed to fall in. The DSP&P first edition (Poor) shows the door pillars standing in the background of a photo of the stone depot in a 1939 photo. This photo is also published in Tom Klinger's South Park's Gunnison Division Memories and Then Some at the bottom of page 268. So we know that it was gone in 1939, so you have 22 years, between 1917 and 1939 to play with or for it to fall in.

Rick
123