This One's A Gem: I.S.Yard Limits Begin.

This One's A Gem: I.S.Yard Limits Begin.

Yard Limits for Idaho Springs began M.P. 35.39, then a double-ended siding at Milepost #36 and a single-ended siding connected at the East-end, known as the Gem on the C&S Idaho Springs Yard Map 1929, and called the Silver Age on Sanborn Maps 1895(Concentrator)  +1908(Powerhouse).  Gem Mines Co. was very active around Clear Creek and Gilpin Counties.  One I'd like to find out more on but never seen a picture of this site yet, none of the volumes written on the C&S mention this spot....The Wilkie Mill was on the South bank of Clear Creek opposite the Gem.  Note, the I.S.P.O. did move locations during this period.

Hiding right behind that Tree.  Gibson Gulch is to the right. This is close to where the 6&40 Motel is today.  Damned Tree.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/3359/rv/singleitem/rec/9
http://libcudl.colorado.edu:8180/luna/servlet/UCBOULDERCB1~21~21

Re: This One's A Gem: I.S.Yard Limits Begin.

Keith Hayes
Chris, I see you have got your library card.

DPL's Sanborn maps are a great resource. They are even more stunning when you realize they are all hand drawn and colored with watercolor--and in many cases even updated. Of great note are all the details inside the building footprint, like the boilers. For those not in the know, Sanborn was an INSURANCE company, and they deeply cared about limiting their risk, particularly of fire. Hence the notes like, "no exposure any side," which is code for, "if this catches on fire, it will not harm other buildings."

I love the notation for the water wheel and trace, "Vac" indicates vacant, and the notes about operation, which implies someone is on duty in the event fire breaks out.

"IR CL" indicates 'iron cladding' which would resist catching fire from air borne cinders. Note that there is a thicker outline where this occurs.

All reasons why Sanborn Maps are great modeling resources!

Re: This One's A Gem: I.S.Yard Limits Begin.

Chris Walker
Have had the Library card for a while, {:))
I always liked them being inserted into books and articles, added flavour if you will.  Only problem when I started this I.S. Mill research middle of last year, my browser corrupted my saved link and I could never get it to open other than for one map.  Once or twice I got back in only for the browser to again reject the "Luna" application.   Fortunately that didn't happen at the DPL eh!  All fixed now.