Switch stand target colours?

Jeff Young
Right.  I think the round one should be red.  Any ideas on the rectangular one?  (Or any corrections on the round one?)

It's the Silica branch, if it matters.  Photo is about 1940, but I model 1925.  (I'm ecstatic to see that the targets don't quite rotate the full 90°, as mine don't either. )

Thanks,
Jeff.

Re: Switch stand target colours?

The usual convention was switch stands at turnouts on the main line had red targets, those off sidings or secondary tracks had yellow targets.  With 2 target stands, perhaps green was displayed when lined for the main route, red being displayed when lined for the secondary or diverging route--certainly the case for switch stand lamps, illuminated at night.

 But who knows if that applies to the C&S.  In some early (1900-1920) photos, the rectangular upper target appears to be a lighter color, white or yellow?

Re: Switch stand target colours?

Jeff Young
This is an Elliot currently at Como, but not original to Como (where it is original to is unknown, at least to me).

But, barring any other evidence, I guess you use what you have.

The picture (credit, funny enough, to yours truly) appears to show some white paint on the top rectangular target, and red on the bottom circular target.

Another angle with better lighting:

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Switch stand target colours?

Chris Walker
Jeff,

page 80 of Mal's C&Sng has a twist on your standard; definitely a Buda 3-way rotary.

Re: Switch stand target colours?

Jeff Young
Yeah, that round target looks pretty white, doesn't it?

(But hey, at least the button-base still has a pointing-down crank pin, so that postulation is still alive....)