Stub switches and reverse loops

Jeff Young
I have a reverse loop on the C&S portion of my layout which is bounded by a stub switch at either end.

Part of me wants to kill two birds with one stone and use the stub point-of-switch as the isolation/transition to the reverse loop.  This would also give me the longest-possible reverse loop.

But another part of me thinks putting two possible failure points together is a mistake, and it would be better to have isolation gaps a foot (or so) back from the stub switch for the reverse loop.  The reverse loop would be a bit shorter, but still at least as long as my longest siding.

(Scale is HOn3.  I have a second reverse loop, but it's on the D&RGW side where it's bounded by a point switch, so it will require a separate isolation gap either way.)

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Stub switches and reverse loops

Todd A Ferguson
Jeff,

I would put them back a bit from the turnout. Don't know if you are using DCC or DC and if you are automating the reversing
of polarity. That might also be a consideration too. There are several good solutions for DCC reversing sections that I have used.

Best,
Todd Ferguson
Harrisburg, NC

Re: Stub switches and reverse loops

Jeff Young
Hi Todd,

I knew I must be leaving some helpful background out:

DCC (Lenz); reverse loops automated (Tam Valley Depot Frog Juicers).

Stub switches hand laid; code 55 rail; frogs switched via Tortoise switch machine microswitches.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Stub switches and reverse loops

Todd A Ferguson
Jeff,

Good stuff.
I would still put them back a bit from the turnout...

Best,

Todd Ferguson
Harrisburg, NC

Sent from my Wacked and Cracked iPad III, OUCH!!!

On Aug 10, 2015, at 2:47 PM, "Jeff Young [via C&Sn3 Discussion Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Todd,

I knew I must be leaving some helpful background out:

DCC (Lenz); reverse loops automated (Tam Valley Depot Frog Juicers).

Stub switches hand laid; code 55 rail; frogs switched via Tortoise switch machine microswitches.

Cheers,
Jeff.

http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Stub-switches-and-reverse-loops-tp3122p3124.html
To unsubscribe from Stub switches and reverse loops, click here.
NAML

Re: Stub switches and reverse loops

Keith Hayes
I, too suggest you locate the isolation gaps a few inches past the turnout. While I cannot state a reason not to double up, it will make trouble shooting easier as the reversing section is isolated from the switch. Also a wise man long ago suggested that the train length be shorter than your reversing section.

Re: Stub switches and reverse loops

Jeff Young
Thanks, Todd and Keith.  That is the way I’ll go then.

Cheers,
Jeff.