Re: The C&S Coal Chutes: Four bins? Six Bins? Eight Bins? Twelve Bins?

Re: The C&S Coal Chutes: Four bins? Six Bins? Eight Bins? Twelve Bins?

Jeff Young
> Don't you think someone must have mis-counted at Dickey in 1909?

I wouldn’t bet on it.

In my research regarding the Marshall Pass turntable (yes, I model the dark side too), I kept hearing about 50’, 62’ and 67’ tables.  I figured one of those must be a typo and that the 50’ was replaced by a 60-something’ when the bigger K’s came around.

However, when I finally pieced it all together through the various AFEs and the 3rd Division ledger, I discovered that not only were there the three sizes I had hear about, but also a 60’, and that there were actually two different 62’ tables (after the first was damaged when the depot and snowsheds burned in 1923).

1890: 50' Keystone table installed.
1903: 60' table installed.
1911: 62' table from Tennessee Pass installed.
1923: 62' second-hand table installed.
1926: 67' second-hand table installed.

I guess my point is that a historian’s desire for simplification is not always met by the facts. ;)

Cheers,
Jeff.