Poles on Flats

Doug Heitkamp
Group,

Here is another gem to follow along with my earlier post "Pipes on Flats". Now we have "Poles on Flats"!

Location anybody? Let the comments begin!

Doug H.
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Poles on Flats

Jim Courtney
No idea of location, but what a great picture, Doug!

Flat 1005 appears to be another rebuild Litchfield 26' flat, like 1049, with straight 8 inch side sills, only 2 queen posts / truss rods this time, still has original Litchfield trucks.

Flat 1074 looks to be a 30' Peninsular flat, with rebuilt 12 inch straight side sills, notched to accept the end beams, only has 2 truss rods, still has Peninsular swing beam trucks.

Flat 1064 appears to be a sister 30' Peninsular flat, with original 12 inch tapered side sills, still only 2 truss rods, also with original Peninsular swing beam trucks.

All 3 flats seem to have the backwards brake staff to brake cylinder arrangement as we've been discussing.

Where do you find these wonderful photos??  Keep them coming, soon I'll have enough photos for a fleet of period flats!!  How about transformers on flats or cable spools on flats.

Jim

Re: Poles on Flats

  Right here Doug.  Idaho Springs, Eastern edge of the Depot.

A Brilliant Find Mate.  I always wondered what was behind that Horse.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/7165/rv/singleitem/rec/13

Re: Poles on Flats

As for the possible reason for all those Poles refer to here http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Pipes-on-Flats-tp2980p3005.html and the Electric Companies battling for supplying power to the residents of Idaho Springs.

Time period check for the C&S paint scheme experts maybe?

The board walk on the left is around the Bandstand/Rotunda.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/3296/rv/singleitem/rec/92

While we are here .... outside the Depot, streetside.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/7124/rv/singleitem/rec/15

Re: Poles on Flats

Chris,

Time period check for the C&S paint scheme experts maybe?

I'm no expert, but the C&S roman lettering would place the scene some time between 1900 and 1906. Could be even later. Can't see any couplers, so can't tell if it is post-1903 with automatic couplers.  Also cannot make out weigh dates.

I don't know where Doug keeps finding these gems, but it is tempting to think of this as a contemporary of his Pipes on Flats photo;  the 1902 flat car in that photo has a weigh date of "1-05".  If these two photos are contemporary (a stretch, I know), that would place both photos after the 1903 "power struggle" in Idaho Springs.