Passenger car paint color.

Oldbear52
I have three different acrylic paints that Inneed help in choosing which to use on our equipment. The colors are from the craft department at Wally World. They are marsh green, Kelly green, old navy.

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Jim Courtney
OB,

You might find Keith's and Mike Trent's comments on painting passenger cars helpful, in this thread:

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/C-amp-S-Passenger-72-td2115.html#a2128

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Oldbear52
Jim.
I looked at that thread and there was a clear clean picture of the painted coach that shows the paint. The Dark Ivy matches it really good. Thanks. Once I get my coach done before decaling I will attempt to post a photo.
Fred

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Jeff Young
Just to add a bit more fodder to the discussion:

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Oldbear52
Ah yes now the plot thickens. I see some photographic proof of the black roof. lol.
Thanks Jeff.
Oldbear (Fred)

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Hey, Old Bear Fred

This is a question for the ages. I was turned on to Testors "Dark Green" by a friend who had good luck with it. The color looks just right to my eye, and to his. It's different than the old Pullman Green that was the standard of things back in the 80's when I myself was a much younger bear and I think that's one of the reasons I like it.

It's available in almost any hobby shop in either spray cans or bottle. I don't know if it's available in acrylic.

A caveat on the roof color, that picture was almost certainly taken in Leadville in the post abandonment period of the mainline, after 1937. During that time, roof colors on passenger cars and cabooses were often black. But I'd "go green" on the whole body as that is what we determined to have been the case on coach #70 which we repainted in the 80's.

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Oldbear52
Mike: thanks for your input. I found the Old Ivy green acrylic makes a decent color for my stuff. I did paint my coach roof the same green over a matte black roof. Gave it a nice weathered look. When I can figure out how to post some photos from my iPhone I will try to get some good shots.
My wife is ordering a couple of wiseman kits of coaches and a combine to bolster our fleet. Plus my son is ordering some box cars from Accurail. Should be a good Christmas. 😃
Oldbear (aka Fred)

Re: Passenger car paint color.

What scale are you working in, Old Bear Fred?

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Oldbear52
I am currently working in 0n30. I got a Bachmann set back in 2008. One of the Ohio river western sets. That started me back into this hobby.
Currently, our roster has 1 MMI D&RGW C-19 number 247. 1 Bachman 4-4-0 (the smaller one.) 1 C&S Mogul #2 And my wife's two climax locos.'our rolling stock consists of 1 Bachmann coach 2 Bachmann combines and a Bachmann baggage car. Freight wise theres 1 Bachmann gondola D&RGW 2 Bachmann D&RGW box cars and 1 Bachmann C&S box car.
My good friend has a number Bachmann #21 mogul that used to run on our first "4x8 " layout called the Rio Grande  Central. But it has been "embargoed" since we moved into a nursing home, temporarily. We intend on moving into a house in January with a basement and then build something more substantial.
Oldbear aka Fred.

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Oldbear52
By the way can some one tell me how to down load images from my iPhone?

Re: Passenger car paint color.

tonyk375
C&S Coach

I model in HOn3.  I have been using Testor's Model Master Medium Green #1713 for many years on my C&S equipment.  I like the color, the availability and the variety from my Rio Grande cars.

 I have a life time supply of old square bottle Floquil Pullman green for my D&RGW passenger cars.  Although I tend to tint different color cars with a touch of Floquil concrete to lighten or a little roof brown to darken (variety is the cure to boring uniformity) I'm way to far along to change horses.  Most of my cars are styrene, but I have a brass cars also and much prefer solvent based paints.

My RGS equipment in mainly Floquil Tuscan with a couple of pullman green cars.  The work coaches on my RGS are a tuscan/oxide red mix .

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Oldbear52
Tony:
Thanks for your input and wonderful pictures. Our roster is painted a marsh green matte. I decided to go this route and it turned out pretty decent.
Here is the million dollar question. Now that the fleet is painted and I have my decals from the Leadville. Since I haven't used decals since I was a teen, how do I prepare the cars for the decals?

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Jeff Young
Hi Fred,

The most important part is to apply decals on a gloss finish.  If your finish is currently matt, you’ll need a gloss varnish over it before applying the decals.  (If you want the car to be matt in the end, you’ll need another matt varnish coat over everything after the decals go on.)

Note that dry transfers are the opposite: they need to go onto a matt finish.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Oldbear52
Jeff:
Thanks for your help. I am doing some little stuff before we move to Silverhill Alabama on january 7th. The decals are o the before we move list.
Fred

Re: Passenger car paint color.

tonyk375
I also really like the Scalecoat Paint line.  The Pullman green has a nice browner tint that looks good.  It also is a gloss finish so ready for lettering.

I use a lot of acrylic paints also. Most are from hobby lobby or walmart and a lot of the colors can be had in gloss so you are ready.

Re: Passenger car paint color.

Oldbear52
Some one posted a picture of a water service foreman's car. It was a burgandy car and it was short. The discussion covered a lot about the used of the car and we want to model something like it. It was a model of car 025. Ink particularly liked the color and that roof walk. Is there any more about this car?
Fred
Superintendent
Ohio Creek Southern rr

Re: 025

Chris Walker
Some more on 025 here.
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/025-perhaps-tp1178.html

Re: 025

Robert Stears
I think this is one of the most interesting pieces of rolling stock on the South Park lines.

It was built in the late 1880's (possibly 1889) by the Denver, Leadville & Gunnison Ry. and listed as "Officer Car" #025. A great photograph by Dr. Scott of the car freshly built in Como was published in the Bogies and the Loop journal several years ago.

Company records indicate that DL&G #025 was built from a narrow gauge boxcar. There is a great photograph of a funky looking DSP&P MOW car in Mal Ferrell's South Park book that is half boxcar - half passenger car that has the same window arrangement as #025. I wrote an article on the car and it's possible origins that was published in The Narrow Gauge Annual many years ago. I think it was the 2011 or 2012 edition? I don't remember.

The newly formed C&S acquired the car in 1899 and re-lettered the car "B-3". It retained this number until 1911 when the car was re-numbered 912.

The car was extensively rebuilt in 1915 and continued as a business car 912 until being demoted to MOW service and rebuilt as #089. As #089 the car was painted boxcar red with white lettering, and had end ladders and a roof walk applied.

The car was disassembled in 1940.

I am traveling today but will post some photos of the car. Ken Martin published a nice article on the C&S business cars in the Narrow Gauge and Short line Gazette years ago. There are also some great shots of the car in Ken's book with Derrell Poole on C&S narrow gauge equipment. Ken's new book on C&S passenger cars also includes a drawing if the car. Ken's book of wonderful drawings is a must.

I don't know of any kits or brass imports of the car. I scratch built On3 versions of business car #912 c.1911 and of #089 c.1926.

If you are into bashing a facsimile of 089, taking a razor saw to several On30 Bachmann coaches or baggage cars would be great fun.

More later,

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 23, 2016, at 3:51 PM, Chris Walker [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Some more on 025 here.
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/025-perhaps-tp1178.html

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Passenger-car-paint-color-tp7073p7341.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: 025

Robert McFarland
I recall seeing the Annual article.There is an early picture of the car in the Kiersey collection showing it parked near the Hancock depot.Could this be the car that was used by P.F.Barr during the construction of Alpine Tunnel in Dow Helmers' book?