"Panorama of Denver No.115"

Robert McFarland
Look at DPL photo WHJ-10662.Could the roundhouse toward the right side of the picture be the old DSP&P roundhouse?Theres a building slightly to the left of it that looks like the building that C&S 64 posed in front of  in its diamond stacked days.What about the other,larger roundhouse?

Re: "Panorama of Denver No.115"

Jeff Ramsey
?

Re: "Panorama of Denver No.115"

Todd Hackett
DPL

Re: "Panorama of Denver No.115"

Jeff Ramsey
Looks like the new (1880) Union Pacific roundhouse to the left and the older Denver Pacific roundhouse to the right. Heavy repairs to DSP&P locomotives were done at the shops of the later according to the Union Pacific Magazine. Nice find!

Re: "Panorama of Denver No.115"

Robert McFarland
Where would the DSP&P roundhouse be in relation to these buildings?Is there any chance it might be hiding somewhere in one of these panorama photographs?Could the building in between the two roundhouses be the one in the C&S 64 photo?

Re: "Panorama of Denver No.115"

Rick Steele
Robert,

I would recommend that you find the Sanborn Insurance maps for Denver for that time period. You will find a plan of the DSP&P roundhouse there (just an outline) and some of their yard track like the tank behind the roundhouse.

The photo looks a lot like the DSP&P structure. The other roundhouse located in that proximity was that of the Denver and New Orleans, the Standard Gauge line that became the C&S "Country Line" from Denver to Pueblo via Parker, Elizabeth, Elbert, and Falcon. During UP ownership and consolidation of the facilities, most of the shop work was moved to the Roundhouse at Pullman (At 40th and Brighton Blvd) in Denver. Because of all of the UP consolidation in Denver, at one time there were 5 Roundhouses in Denver that belonged to them, There was the DSP&P, D&NO, DP, KP, and UP (at Pullman).

Rick

Re: "Panorama of Denver No.115"

Robert McFarland
There are maps of the roundhouse and yard area,Jeff's "original roundhouse floor plan" and views of the roundhouse and yards from two panoramic drawings of Denver in the DSP-P Yahoo group photo section plus a copy of the C&S 64 photo.

Re: "Panorama of Denver No.115"

Rick Steele
Robert,

Jeff admitted that his interior stylings of the DSP&P Denver Roundhouse were imaginary.

I'm glad that there are other maps available to you, I was just trying to direct you to the source material since the Hysteric Colorado original linen map of the Denver West Side line is no longer available to the public.

I'll not make that mistake with you again.

Rick

Re: "Panorama of Denver No.115"

Robert McFarland
I believe that the maps shown in the DSP-P Yahoo photos section are Sanborn or something like them.They show the Roundhouse ,nearby buildings and track locations.I believe that Jeff was the one who posted them.

Re: "Panorama of Denver No.115"

Chris Walker
DPL has Maps, try there Robert, same with the Sanborns in the Norlin library Uni of Boulder, try there as well.  I did post one for that John Droste feller awhile ago when he was on about the oldest D&RG Depot in Early Denver.

Re: "Panorama of Denver No.115"

Robert McFarland
Under the heading of Denver(colo.) maps there are about 4 pages of maps ranging from 1860 to the Present.Several of the 1874 to 1890 maps show the relationship of the DSP&P RH to the two RH in the photo.The DSP&P RH is generally SW of  Denver Union Station while the two RH are N or NE of Union Station and are identified as UP shops.The original DSP&P depot is not too far from the DSP&P RH.One map showed DSP&P ROW  as far as  Littleton,Ft. Logan and the eastern end of the Morrison branch.

Re: "Panorama of Denver No.115"

Robert McFarland
As the DSP&P ROW leaves the roundhouse and yards area and heads toward Denver Union Station,there seems to be a little bit of confusion between the DSP&P trackage and the D&RG trackage.There are two structures in one of the DPL birdseye view maps that appear to be coaling docks  with elevated trackage.One of these appears to be on the DSP&P.