Other damage at Alpine Tunnel

Robert McFarland
I just found out from a post in Railroad Glory Days that there had also been another rock or snowslide in the Woodstock area.Does anyone have any info and updates about the Alpine Tunnel situation?

Re: Other damage at Alpine Tunnel

Chris Walker
You know Bob, I just love a good cryptic clue game....

OK  Did you know that the Palisades were damaged a long time ago before this latest slide?

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/72284/rv/singleitem/rec/1

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/1521/rv/singleitem/rec/62

and one of mine from 2012 so you can connect the dots as it were.

As built...

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/76217/rv/singleitem/rec/6

Re: Other damage at Alpine Tunnel

Robert McFarland
Wow,thanks for the photographs.It almost looks  like gradual erosion that must have been helped along by last winter's events.In the Collier photo you can see Woodstock in the valley.Looks like they had been doing some work then as there are wooden stakes driven in the wall for men to stand on.I was mainly responding to Glen's post because it mentioned the other slide near Woodstock.

Re: Other damage at Alpine Tunnel

In the McClure photo there seems to be a boulder, some slide rock,and some ties below the damage area.

Re: Other damage at Alpine Tunnel

Robert, it certainly looks like that snowslide ran way back in the 1890's to sluff off those capstones.

One detail in the McClure picture that stands out is the amount of accumulated cinders alongside the rockface given the short periond of time the line was in use prior to that photograph being exposed.