"Oh, that's attractive…"

Doug Heitkamp
Hey Folks,

Thought I would put these pictures out there for your viewing pleasure. Don't know anything about them other than the caption on the back. A short lived experiment in suppressing sparks? A temporary fix that lasted a couple of days, weeks, months…who knows! Either way, I think it's kind of goofy looking.

Doug

Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: "Oh, that's attractive…"

Jim Courtney
Wow, didn't see that coming!!

Do you own the print or just a photo of the photo??  The date of 1910 kinda fits with contemporary photos of number 30 on the Alma branch and number 59 in Gunnison.

And that looks like number 9, like in the photo I just posted, in the background.

BTW, how come your vintage C&S photos come with dates on the back??

Re: "Oh, that's attractive…"

Tim Schreiner
Never seen that photo before. Thanks for sharing, especially since I'm in the process of modeling #13 in On3.

Re: "Oh, that's attractive…"

Doug Heitkamp
Jim,

This picture was for sale on eBay a few years ago. I didn't win the auction, so all I have are the pics you see. Here's a fun thought….Maybe the same ugly stack got passed around? Actually, Derrell and I talked about this a while back and we both came to the conclusion that this was probably an experiment in dealing with sparks. Note the cone shaped spark arrestor on the loco behind 13.

Doug
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: "Oh, that's attractive…"

Jim Courtney
Yeah, but the spark arrester on the loco behind number 13 isn't a full cone, likely the earliest version of the "Como" arrester.  It's short, with a flat top.  More like an upside down cupcake than an upside down ice cream cone.

(sorry, just finished dinner, thinking about dessert)

Re: "Oh, that's attractive…"

Doug Heitkamp
I stand corrected! Maybe we should create a new term…the Tuna Can Spark Deflector

Doug
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO