NNGC 2019. C&S 1008 Restoration Clinic (with handout)

NNGC 2019. C&S 1008 Restoration Clinic (with handout)

Richard Farmer
This was our third convention and clinic, we have made presentations in Pasadena, CA, Denver, CO, and in Sacramento, CA. This is always great opportunity to see friends and make some new, we even talked to a gentleman who had seen our presentation in all three cities!
Our presentation, using visual media as well as some of the actual parts we have collected, discusses the history of our car from its construction for the D.P.&P., through a couple of other railroads and finally ending up on the C&S.
We then move into the story of how we acquired 1008, moved it to my home, the process of making some important restoration decisions, and then to the search, rescue and collection of useful parts. The final part of the presentation talks about where we are now and featured our friend Randy Hess, Director on the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Bolder City, Nevada. Randy’s part of the presentation deals with his extensive research into discovering the actual color of the car toward the end of her career.
As part of our presentation we always talk about the many helpful an generous people who 8have provided guidance (and even a few parts) as we continue toward our goal.
The rest of the convention was very well done. Brother Bob walked away with a beautiful P-B-L Sn3 D&RG K-28 and a few other bits and pieces from the extensive vendors room. We visited several fine home layouts as well as the N.C.N.G. Museum and the Sacramento Live Steamers, who had arranged to have a number of their members bring out some really fine examples of narrow gauge (big) live steam.
We have always made up a handout to give to those attending our clinic which we have updated for each convention. This year we were able to upgrade our handout by including some beautiful color renderings by Andrew Brandon and Randy Hees. Andrew agreed to allow me to attach his work along with our information for your enjoyment.
Richard and Bob

(Sorry for these being upside down and weird and I hope the words are not to small to read - RHF)

Re: NNGC 2019. C&S 1008 Restoration Clinic (with handout)

Andrew Brandon
Richard,

I only caught portions of your presentation, but it was fantastic.
I did not notice until now that the 1930s version I sent you had some detail removed.

Here is the whole set of illustrations:

I will get PDF versions posted to PacificNG soon.

Enjoy!

Re: NNGC 2019. C&S 1008 Restoration Clinic (with handout)

Chris Walker
That is very much appreciated Richard and Andrew.  Feel free to add more pictures and information any time.

Re: NNGC 2019. C&S 1008 Restoration Clinic (with handout)

Jeff Ramsey
Got to love the academic and scholastic value of finish samples. Some grantees do also. Not to mention modelers from Z to 1;1 scales.

Notice this is different from 1008 as the first layer as 1006 reveals a white or as lead rubbing (some call primer but I don't think so) as what is see in this sample of 1008.
I think tomorrow I am going to Golden and I am going to pry a chunk of 1009 off and overnight it to Andrew in California to analyze and thus compare to the 2 others.

Just kidding-

Re: NNGC 2019. C&S 1008 Restoration Clinic (with handout)

SteveG
Thank you all for this info! It's interesting how many permutations the lettering schemes went through between 1902 and 1912, judging by the photos in the Narrow Gauge Pictorial, Volume VIII--see pages 112, 113, and 135--from the Colorado & Southern on the fascia:

 to the big block gothic C&S with "Colorado and Southern" under the windows:

 to the more restrained gothic C&S with the road name further down the side.

Unless 313 was an outlier in more regards than its undercarriage, as suggested in another thread.

Then again, it may have boiled down to the mood of the paint shop foreman on a given day.

Steve Guty
Lakeway, TX