Leadville Standpipe

Re: Leadville: Tanks and Roundhouses.

Keith Hayes
Chris, it looks like the C&S had a water tank closer to the roundhouse. One, the other or both structures burned early on, and there is a photo with both DSP&P and D&RG locos (I think) in the still smoldering ruins.

A couple years ago, I was at the CRRM library and asked Kenton Forrest about Leadville photos. He remarked that it was a tough subject. The D&RG mainline was down in the valley, and eventually Malta was but a flag stop. Not enough time to hop off and hike up the hill (at 10,000 feet) to snap some pics. Even the Midland pretty quickly treated Leadville as a (profitable) spur.

Seems like C&S operations worked around morning call times and trains left Como and Leadville in the morning and arrived at the opposing terminal late afternoon. We don't see much in the way of photos of Leadville at the end of day: the railfans were tired and wanted to head for beans! Being true photogs, Otto, Lad, Dick, Ed, Jack, Bob, Bob and others chose to make photographs of the trains departing when the light was better and on their side of the train. I have found I can glean more information from the background of flatcar photos in Derrell's RROBB book than just about anything else.

Thanks for looking!

Re: Leadville: Tanks and Roundhouses.

Keith, confounding things even further, the freights and passenger trains ran in and out of Leadville on opposing days after 1931. So if any of those photographers rode the train up and back, there was nothing going on while in Leadville.

I know there is one really interesting photo taken at Leadvill that you'd really like.

It's in my phone and I'll try to post it before I leave this morning. It's winter, three engines lined up, all with cinder catchers folded down. The first is #74, the second is #73, as I recall, and the third I don't recall, but the third engine is at the standpipe and the depot is on the left. So these are the three freight engines for the day and they are topping off their tanks, all coupled together for an Eastbound run. Given that #73 is definitely in the photo, the standpipe was in use prior to abandonment.

I'll get that sent asap.

Mike

Re: Leadville: Tanks and Roundhouses.

Here are two pictures taken 2-22-34 at Leadville.

These may have been taken by Ed Haley. I know he had them in his personal collection and I also believe they are in the Pictorial Supplement. I'll look that up later when I have more time.

Until now I had really not grasped the significance and rarity of these pictures.

Three engines coupled together topping off their tanks at the standpipe in Leadville. I had thought this was a morning shot, but according to the 1934 calendar, this is a Thursday, and is actually an afternoon shot. These engines have arrived into Leadville with the Westbound freight. Given that the Westbound trains did no switching, they occasionally arrived into Leadville in the afternoon, sometimes around 3PM. By this time, the Leadville Hostlers have the engines, #74, #73, and #75, at the standpipe for water, and the Como Enginemen are already well on their way back to Como for a long weekend, carpooling over Trout Creek Pass.

So the standpipe was definitely there in the early thirties, and probably earlier.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

I had a moment to review the sandpipe casting. The details are quite fine. This is of interest because the part did not pass the tests for the highest detail plastic.

The pipe diameter appears to match 4" per the design. I included a recess at the outlet, which was rendered,  though it is a bit oblong. I also included a recess for a wire mount at the bottom of the pipe. I think Shapeways deliberately cast this as two pieces.

I will see about drilling and dowel ing these together and adding the diagonal straps and the hammer tie.

Next up: rebuilding the valve box, now that everyone has provided such fine photos.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Keith Hayes
Next stop, paint shop.

(Mike, thanks for the groovy photos of the hostlers watering the engines at Leadville.)

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Keith Hayes
Viola!

Looks like it is just right to fit the tender hatch.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Darel Leedy
Administrator
Very nice Keith. And nice clean Fords in the background. Maybe the standpipe doubles as the Leadville car wash?

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Keith Hayes
As with so many issues in life, it just depends where you spot the car.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Very cool, Keith!

Can this be done in 1/4" scale?

I knew you'd really like those photos. That's probably also how they watered the engines at Como, coupled like that.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Keith Hayes
Yes, now that I have the model, I can scale it down to 1:48, send it to Shapeways and set it up for you to log on and buy one.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Keith Hayes
Thank you Mr. Schapekahm.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Apparently I cannot upload an image at this time...

stay tuned...

EDIT: finally....

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/42401/rv/singleitem

A larger view than the one Mike posted.
Don't forget the short ladder.  {:))

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Keith Hayes
The third Loco appears to be 76, judging by the domes. I also spy a '7' on the cab.

I will be sure to add the ladder, Chris. All the safer for crews to get to the valve handle.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Keith, check that sand dome again, and the longer low side sheet on the bunker. Positively #75, as Haley indicated.

If PBL had a faux paux on #75, they missed the long bunker. It's 12" longer than #74's and #76's, and 12" shorter in height. I missed that on my first #75, and caught it only after I had made the same mistake again on the second one. I will post the folio sheet and a photo of #75's tender in the #75 thread.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a photo of #76 with a plow? It must have at least occasionally had one, but I've never seen a photo.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Keith Hayes
You are correct, Mike, it is 75 in the photo.Tom Klinger identified the locomotive in his book.

PBL likely caught  the short coal boards, but not the long tender. I will check on my next visit to the basement.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

It's a very easy thing to miss, as I said, I did it twice!

The PBL engines are really nice, it's great that you've been able to collect all three of them.

Please post or email me about ordering the "Hayes" standpipe. I can certainly put it to good use in Dickey.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Chris Walker
I thought there was a Tank at Dickey, Breckenridge had a spouted standpipe.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Thats right, Chris, but this won't be the first deviation I have claimed from the original.

This Dickey houses numerous locomotives at the still standing enginehouse in a compressed yard, and they are thirsty. Plus, my tank is not where it should be, as the coal dock is there.

Re: Leadville Standpipe

Chris Walker
Thanks to Ken Martin over on the Yahoogroup for posting this pic, along with a few more.

http://collections.lakeforest.edu/files/original/fb935945a5ce79dd1bdf4de6e11ab176.jpg