Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3

Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3

Progression of the Chicago Creek confluence Mill District of Idaho Springs.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/9818/rv/singleitem

Sanborn  http://libcudl.colorado.edu:8180/luna/servlet/UCBOULDERCB1~21~21
1886

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/41181/rv/singleitem

1890

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/10440/rv/singleitem

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/3303/rv/singleitem/rec/304

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/38884/rv/singleitem

1895 Sanborn Fire Map.

Edit: The Newton Mill: Additional Background Information.

1895 Sanborn Fire Map.

Edit: The Newton Mill: Additional Background Information.

1900 Sanborn Fire Map.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/67930/rv/singleitem
Jackson Mill built 1896 on the site of the first Gold discovery in Colorado.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/38884/rv/singleitem

From  A History Of Clear Creek County. 2004.  Historical Soc. of I.S.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/67650/rv/singleitem

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/67655/rv/singleitem

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/67645/rv/singleitem

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/1428/rv/singleitem

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/11920/rv/singleitem

1/1916 Mining&Engineering World vol44.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/3309/rv/singleitem

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3 continued.

Photo copyright and courtesy of Colorado School of Mines.

Waltham Mill in rear of Jackson and Hudson Mills.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/14261/rv/singleitem

1908

Only picture I've ever seen showing the un-numbered C&S trestle crossing of Cl. Cr.
Bridge 12A and 12B were at the Anderson Mill crossing of Virginia Cr.   Bridge 13 was west of the Dewey Sampler.

1908 The Mining Investor pg355

1914 The Mining Investor.

1908

Looking downstream Chicago Cr. towards Idaho Springs, Waltham Mill with the Hudson and Jackson Mills visible farther back.

USGS 1917

from Mineral Belt V-111 by David S. Digerness pg 256

Note that the 2 storey Gabled House has been moved towards the Depot to make room for the newest Mill and Conveyor Building to the former Dewey Sampler.  This House has overseen all of the changes detailed here.

from Mineral Belt V-111 by David S. Digerness pg257

from Narrow Gauge Railway Scenes by Adolf Hungry Wolf, 1992 Canadian Caboose Press

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3 continued.

Bill Uffelman
Chris your photo selections are great! It was the Colorado Central  as shown in Slim Gauge News that really got me into Colorado modeling in the early/mid1970s. On3 Balboa 2-6-0 sealed the deal along with LMB Bogies.

Bill Uffelman Ocean View DE

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"Chris Walker [via C&Sn3 Discussion Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Date:Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 8:38 AM
Subject:Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3 continued.

Photo copyright and courtesy of Colorado School of Mines.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/14261/rv/singleitem

Only picture I've ever seen showing the un-numbered C&S trestle crossing of Cl. Cr.
Bridge 12A and 12B were at the Anderson Mill crossing of Virginia Cr.   Bridge 13 was west of the Dewey Sampler.

1908 The Mining Investor pg355

1908

Looking downstream Chicago Cr. towards Idaho Springs with the Hudson and Jackson Mills visible.

USGS 1917

from Mineral Belt V-111 by David S. Digerness pg 256

Note that the 2 storey Gabled House has been moved towards the Depot to make room for the newest Mill and Conveyor Building to the former Dewey Sampler.  This House has overseen all of the changes detailed here.

from Mineral Belt V-111 by David S. Digerness pg257

from Narrow Gauge Railway Scenes by Adolf Hungry Wolf, 1992 Canadian Caboose Press

The Mining Investor.

http://c-sn3-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Idaho-Springs-Mid-Town-Ore-Processing-Part-3-tp2512p2513.html
To start a new topic under C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sn3 Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3 continued.

Chris Walker

from Idaho Springs Historical Soc

from Idaho Springs Historical Soc

from Idaho Springs Historical Soc

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3

State Ore Sampler Docket:1897.  No Phone!

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3

drgwcs
Thanks for bumping this up- I had went through parts one and two but for some reason the search did not bring up part three. Lots of neat info here. The State Ore Sampler in Black Hawk had shut down operations fairly early- I would assume they consolidated operations to Idaho Springs. Any idea what year the overhead conveyor appeared over the tracks?
Jim Curran

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3

drgwcs wrote
Any idea what year the overhead conveyor appeared over the tracks?

I have a photo taken shortly after the opening of the new road bridge into town dated 1931, that shows the tower added to the Kilton but no new Mill across the C&S tracks.  So anytime after that is the closest I have been able to narrow that down to.

I haven't so far discovered the entity of that new Mill built so late in the years of the C&S.  This is the clearest view I have found so far, from a Sanborn Postcard view.

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3

Chris Walker wrote
I haven't so far discovered the entity of that new Mill built so late in the years of the C&S.  This is the clearest view I have found so far, from a Sanborn Postcard view.
The aforementioned Sanborn Postcard view.

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3

Doug Heitkamp
Chris,

What a great topic! All the pictures and maps really bring it to life. I was up in Idaho Springs this past weekend and was looking around at this area. As expected, not much is left. the only real landmark is the Idaho Springs Machine Works building. I took a Google Maps image of the present lay of the land. The Machine Works building is circled in Red, the depot location is circled in Yellow, and the location of C&S #60 is circled in Green. I hope this will help others if they visit the area.

Google Maps image of the Idaho Springs Machine Works building as it stands today:

Compare this view to the image Chris posted above.
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3

drgwcs
Doug Heitkamp wrote
Chris,

What a great topic! All the pictures and maps really bring it to life. I was up in Idaho Springs this past weekend and was looking around at this area. As expected, not much is left. the only real landmark is the Idaho Springs Machine Works building. I took a Google Maps image of the present lay of the land. The Machine Works building is circled in Red, the depot location is circled in Yellow, and the location of C&S #60 is circled in Green. I hope this will help others if they visit the area.

Google Maps image of the Idaho Springs Machine Works building as it stands today:

Compare this view to the image Chris posted above.
Going east most of the buildings were along the "narrow gauge alley"  The depot has been relocated south of town as a private residence.
Here it is in Google Earth- (cool gggllliitch on the truck in front when I did this- might be hard to steer)
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7255982,-105.5536321,3a,75y,144.9h,91.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0CvX2XZ5-JccgqQ99XajqQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
Jim Curran

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3

Chris Walker
Fabulous Image from 1926.

Re: Idaho Springs Mid-Town Ore Processing: Part 3

drgwcs
This post was updated on .
Chris,
I really "hate" it when you resurrect these threads - you really make me feel like I need to redo my Idaho Springs scene.......... Maybe the lack of space might save me......... However if I "modeled" the "new mill" and the one by the machine shop (Kilton Reduction Works in this 1917 Sanborn map from the LOC) as a flat on the end backdrop.......

Jim
Jim Curran

Cars Spotted At Mid-Town Mills.

excerpted from the above picture.....
for additional discussion about this picture, see: http://c-sng-discussion-forum.254.s1.nabble.com/D-RG-D-RGW-Freight-Car-Information-tp11167p11240.html

paging Dr Courtney, to the Consulting Room, please.

Re: Cars Spotted At Mid-Town Mills.

Jim Courtney
Wow, Chris! Wow, wow, wow!!

How did you manipulate and enlarge the blurry photo that we perseverated about, in the link that you posted to the earlier thread?? Did you find another higher resolution copy of the same photo? However you used your photo editing skills, your enlargements of the freight cars in Idaho Springs are incredible. There is a wealth of new info for the first decade C&S freight car enthusiast, that deserves lengthy discussion. Rather than bury the freight car discussion in this, the mid-town Idaho springs ore processing thread, I will be creating a new thread, once I've double check my notes, photos and books.

One observation: The presence of a boxcar still lettered and numbered for the UPD&G helps date the overall photo to a pretty narrow time window. Dave Eggleston kindly shared ORERs for the first years of the new C&S. The ORER for February, 1902, still lists cars of two classes of inherited UPD&G boxcars not yet re-lettered for the C&S. The next ORER from December, 1902, shows no box cars till carrying original UPD&G lettering. (Although one of the early 1898 new St Charles box cars wasn't re-lettered until early 1904.)

So I believe that your photo of mid-town Idaho Springs dates somewhere between summer / fall of 1899 to summer / fall of 1902.

Join me later today to discuss the wonderful freight car enlargements on the new thread . . .

Re: Cars Spotted At Mid-Town Mills.

Chris Walker

Jim,

I'm working on that date, just keep getting distracted by other juicy tit-bits...   ...so in the mean time this 1901 article maybe of interest, time-frame wise.