How to preserve an old tie plate

Kurt Maechner
Hi,
I've got an old tie plate and a spike from an local abandoned shortline that I wanted to preserve.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with old metal like that?  Or is it best to just keep it as is.
Thanks,
Kurt

Re: How to preserve an old tie plate

Bill Uffelman
Try Naval Jelly - it will remove rust.

Bill Uffelman

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 12:15 PM, Kurt Maechner [via C&Sng Discussion Forum]
Hi,
I've got an old tie plate and a spike from an local abandoned shortline that I wanted to preserve.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with old metal like that?  Or is it best to just keep it as is.
Thanks,
Kurt

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/How-to-preserve-an-old-tie-plate-tp15027.html
To start a new topic under C&Sng Discussion Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from C&Sng Discussion Forum, click here.
NAML

Re: How to preserve an old tie plate

tonyk375
I've got half a dozen in my landscaping.  It is the rust i like.  I have  one inside that I sprayed with clear coat many years ago so it wouldn't get whatever it touched dirty.

Re: How to preserve an old tie plate

South Park
  Define "preserved"  .....

  I have early spikes, cast rail brace, and chunk of original construction
South Park rail.  They look perfectly fine, just as the soil gave them up
to me !
"Duty above all else except Honor"