History & the ego identity

John Droste
History is what was. It can not be changed.

Identity is what we relate to. The things we believe in. They are not history, but only our interpretation of history or what we choose to believe. What we believe may not be true.

The ego controls us when we are not paying attention.

The ego identity protects us when the things that challenge our beliefs are challenged. Even though those beliefs may not be true.

As I grew aware that the Como depot was restructured from other buildings I began to investigate and everything I found indicated that the Como Depot was formerly the Denver D&RG station building.
Not a person, animal or invertebrate in any D&RG groups know what happened to the three Denver D&RG stations.

I began asking questions and that challenged others. Finally, a well known Narrow Gauge Historian realised that I was onto something and came straight out and warned people not to help me. And the help stopped.

The scales of discovering history tipped in favour of protecting the ego identity of others. Because of fears of others that feel threatened.
Discovering truths for historians became secondary.

I have discovered more interesting things over these years.
Here is an interesting photo showing the end of the D&RG station as seen from behind the Kansas Pacific Station.
 http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15330coll22/id/35956

And this link that I have shared before locates the D&RG station across the road, end on to the railroad track which is what lead me to discover it. But only recently did I go back to see if I could see where the station and freight house were before they were removed from the corner Wynkoop and 19th streets. And there they are. Not beside Wynkoop street but actually in the middle of Wynkoop street.
http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15330coll22/id/88627

 There are many many anomalies in the Como depot that have defied explanation to me. Currently, what would make sense to me is if part of the D&RG freight house was attached to the depot when they were removed from the corner and across the road. I would like to discuss these anomalies of the Como Depot and how they link to the D&RG station and Freight room.
 And also why I believe there were not three Denver & Rio Grande stations in Denver but one. Meaning, I suspect the Station was dragged across the Cherry creek bridge on the rails. It will take some time. I hope I am allowed that.
 John

Re: History & the ego identity

Jimmy Blouch
I'll add fuel to the fire.

In the Kansas Pacific structure view, which building are you saying is the D&RG station?

Jimmy

Re: History & the ego identity

John Droste
Well I don't smell any smoke Jimmy, all good.

 The D&RG station is to the left of the KP Station and the edge of the KP station wall dissects  the end of the D&RG station in the back ground.
http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15330coll22/id/35956

The freight room is just behind the station. Make note of signs on each for later reference.
Below is a page from an earlier City directory showing the Freight depot being located here but the station is still located near 11th & 12th streets.
I might just note here that the D&RG ticket sales were always somewhere else other than the station. Hence I suggest only the small original ticket window.
 From DPL.

Here is a view of the D&RG station from the front of the KP station 1873. The D&RG station is just inside the photo on the right.
http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/file.php?1,file=31529

Here is a larger or expanded photo. The D&RG station is behind the power pole.
The end wall of the building on the very far right became the rear wall of the Sleeping Quarters in Como. Compare.
You can use the facades of the buildings along 19th street for reference when you look at this area from the Union Station Tower.
http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/file.php?1,file=31530

"Photo used by permission  Copyright Ken Smith Photo above, All Rights Reserved.”
www.steamandmorephotography.com

 Here is also a circa 1873 photo of the D&RG Station and Freight room from a different elevation and I will copy and paste the words of a member of this group before he was told not to help me.
Another view, circa 1873. Depot is right of the brick/iron smoke stack. Notice the station sign."
http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/file.php?1,file=31529

 Take notice of the freight room door. It is my suspicion that part of this building became the freight room in Como.

 Here is the photo of the Kansas Pacific yard once again. The D&RG station & freight house are no longer ON Wynkoop Street.
Just short of the trees on Wynkoop I believe I can see part of the foundations of the Freight room Depot. Maybe part of steps.
http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15330coll22/id/88627

 So there is no confusion about dates, here are another 3 photos taken by Jackson that when properly observed show that the photos were taken on the same day. And it must be 1881 due to the state of the Union Station grounds. The tower of the UP Station was completed around May or June. (I currently have my books packed away.) Because there are so few people, I suspect it was a very hot day. Maybe a public holiday also as there is no train movement.
http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15330coll22/id/84036

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15330coll22/id/84035

http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15330coll22/id/88640

This map shows the location of where the D&RG station was moved from to along Wynkoop Street.
The position is marked in the North cross hair.

 And this DPL Jackson photo again. This time pointing out the D&Rg station positioned between the building that became part of the office and sleeping quarters (now out of view), and the Delaney building on the corner of Wynkoop street.
http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15330coll22/id/88627

 A close up of that building showing the Train Orders Board exactly where I expected to find it.

Not sure of the date but I believe these buildings were cleared away to allow development of the Union Station rail yard.

 The map also shows where the RG station and freight depot would have formerly been located ON Wynkoop Street.

 I would appreciate some help with photos of bridges over the Cherry creek on Wewatta and Wynkoop streets.
Because the bottom wall plate of the Como depot is so extraordinarily solid, I suspect it, (The station building) was slid over from near 11th & 12th streets.
Photo below was provided to me by the DSP&P HS and the bottom wall plate can be seen behind builder Mr Pershcenbacher.

 And here is why I suspect that the Freight room came from a seperate building. There are two floor joists from different sections of floor frame joined together side by side under neath the freight room/baggage room wall. This photo also provided by the DSP&P HS.

 In another oddity, the floor joists between the baggage room/freight room wall and the wall space where I described the L shaped wall of having been formerly positioned have had packers placed on top.
 Because of these things and because this section of floor is not full width of the building and yet other reasons I could discuss later, I wonder if this area had steps which lead up to an entrance area.

 John