Gondola End beams, side sills and other sills...

Re: Gondola End beams, side sills and other sills...

Darel Leedy
Administrator
John,

No worries. Please ask all the questions you'd like. I was only pointing out the feature for those who may not know about it. It's usually a question that starts all these great threads anyways.

Re: Gondola End beams, side sills and other sills...

John Greenly
Darel, thanks!  The text search is certainly very helpful, but there doesn't seem to be any good substitute for carefully studying all the photos in these threads: unfortunately the search can't look for and identify things in images, and almost always there is extremely valuable information in them that isn't mentioned in the text of the posts.   Until artificial intelligence catches up to our eyes and brains, we still need each others' memories to help point the way to some of this wealth of hidden information... hidden, that is, until you look at it!

Cheers,
John

John Greenly
Lansing, NY

Re: Gondola End beams, side sills and other sills...

GRUMPY
U.P.D.&G. 3 board coal type 00Z-2744

Re: Gondola End beams, side sills and other sills...

Todd A Ferguson
One more question regarding the coal cars.
What was the thickness of the side boards and end boards?
2 1/2 inches is the number that is stuck in my head but I want to get some better input.

Thanks,
Todd Ferguson
Harrisburg, NC

Re: Gondola End beams, side sills and other sills...

Jim Courtney
Todd,

Derrell Poole's plans show the following side board dimensions:

1897 3-board car, 2x10 upper boards, 2x12 bottom board
1898 4-board car, 2 1/4x10 boards
1902 4-board car, 2x10 boards

Not sure where he got the dimensions for the first two classes, the 1902 car was likely measured at Central City.

I chose to use 2x10 boards on my models abuilding.

Jim

Re: Gondola End beams, side sills and other sills...

Todd A Ferguson
Jim,

Thanks for the information...

Best,
Todd Ferguson
Harrisburg, NC

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 22, 2016, at 1:37 PM, Jim Courtney [via C&Sng Discussion Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Todd,

Derrell Poole's plans show the following side board dimensions:

1897 3-board car, 2x10 upper boards, 2x12 bottom board
1898 4-board car, 2 1/4x10 boards
1902 4-board car, 2x10 boards

Not sure where he got the dimensions for the first two classes, the 1902 car was likely measured at Central City.

I chose to use 2x10 boards on my models abuilding.

Jim

http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Gondola-End-beams-side-sills-and-other-sills-tp5999p6220.html
To unsubscribe from Gondola End beams, side sills and other sills..., click here.
NAML
12