Georgetown Loop Video

Robert McFarland
Video of Kurt Maechner's 1991 trip on the Georgetown Loop is available on his blog-  alpinetunnel.blogspot.com

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Doug Heitkamp
This post was updated on .
1903 Georgetown Loop Movie -

Click here for vintage Georgetown Loop film
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Darel Leedy
Administrator
Thanks Doug! That's the first time I've seen the whole film down into Georgetown. Fabulous!

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Who took this movie?H.H.Buckwalter?Thanks for posting this movie-I was hoping somebody would.Did you get a chance to see the Maechner video?

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Doug Heitkamp
Robert,

The movie was shot by Gottfried Wilhelm "Billy" Bitzer (April 21, 1874 - April 29, 1944). He was a pioneering cinematographer notable for his close association with D. W. Griffith. It is said that Bitzer developed camera techniques that set the standard for all future motion pictures. Among Bitzer's innovations were:

The fade out to close a movie scene.
The iris shot where a circle closes to close a scene.
Soft focus photography with the aid of a light diffusion screen.
Filming entirely under artificial lighting rather than outside.

I have also seen other prints of the film that give credit to Thomas Edison, Inc. I believe that it wasn't shot by Edison, but rather published and/or distributed by his company. There are a number of films in the Library of Congress that Edison Inc. published. You can find quite a few of them on YouTube.

As for the Maechner video… I was hoping it was something special. It wasn't. Just your basic home movie/video. Not trying to be harsh, but there are plenty of videos out there that are much more professional.

Please realize that I live in the suburbs of Denver and have ridden the Loop many times since the late 1980's. The highlight for me was being pulled by C&S #9 a few years ago.

Thanks!

Doug

Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Wow,  a blast from the past.  I have that on VHS somewhere, not that I can view it now.

At :32 sec you can see the "8772 Ft Above Sea Level" sign, then several of the Georgetown mills are in this.

Look at 2:20 for the Farwell Reduction Works and then at 2:26 the Centennial Mill and siding.   This was formerly the Clear Creek County Sampling works, Sanborn mark it as closed in 1886 on pg 359 in the Colorado Central Railroad book by Sundance.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll21/id/7370/rv/singleitem

Judging from the debris in this next picture and comparing it with the WH Jackson photo on pg 354 CCR, considerable remodelling or a fire took place.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/38793/rv/singleitem/rec/10

An earlier view of the Mill later known as the Hazelton-Santiago, and Br.733 (or aka Br. 29) here.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/90319/rv/singleitem/rec/15

At 2:35 into view comes the Public Ore Mill, this I'm not certain on but may be referred to later as the Pelican-Dives after the considerable rebuilding, note two boxcars on the near siding and behind is the other siding-on-a-trestle popular with this region.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/3094/rv/singleitem/rec/268

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/336/rv/singleitem/rec/68

For more views at this location see http://coloradosouthern.blogspot.co.nz/2014/10/for-you-doug-love-roper.html

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Doug Heitkamp
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Chris Walker
Sixty Cents to Morrison....I'm in!

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Derrell Poole
The engine in the background appears to be No. 4 (maybe seen on the sand box?) post 1902. Marvilous eye treats - thanks guys.

Gritty..... verrrrry gritty!

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Derrell Poole
I thought the hankie waving was what was Making the train go faster....

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Jeff Ramsey
Phil Reader formerly of the GLR says he has seen motion picture taken on the Argentine Central. In the past I have seen the catalogue call # from the History Colorado Library, can not seem to find it today. Phil said it was also like the 1903 footage of the loop, short and fast. Someone out there has a VHS tape of this that I bet we would all love to see.

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

DRGWK37
What awesome footage. Enjoyed the ride! Thanks for sharing the link.

William
aka drgwk37

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Rick Steele
Ummm Chris, that's not 3772 feet above sea level unless the Railroad fell in a hole. More lke 8772 ft.

Rick

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Chris Walker
{:)) yeah it was a very late night, well after 4am MT,  a number of edits to get things in order, just a glance at the signboard on pg 373 of the Colorado Central RailRoad book and the rest is history, thanks for the catch.

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Alex Hois
The original link to the video doesn't work anymore, but it popped up again on the NGDF...
http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,316196
Love those hankies!
Alex

Re: Georgetown Loop Video

Doug Heitkamp
Thanks Alex!

I updated the link in my original post to take you directly to the YouTube video.

Doug
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO