Como Depot Questions

Kurt Maechner
I am curious if anyone knows the background of two aspects of the Como Depot.

First what is the platform structure that appears to be built in front of one of the original depot doors?  It is next to the vestibule.  I can't recall if this was from the railroad era or if it was added when it was later used for other purposes.

Also, what is the 4-side structure attached to the end of the depot (the side facing the direction of the roundhouse-in the right of this photo)?  I am pretty sure the original structure was gone by the time the depot was restored.
Kurt

Re: Como Depot Questions

Todd Hackett
I'm pretty sure that the platform was post-railroad (after the big doors were cut into the front of the building). I understand that the small structure on the end was originally a telegrapher's office. It had a clear view to Kenosha Pass. There was originally a smaller front door and a chimney for a stove. Later, the doorway was widened with double doors, and the chimney was capped indicating the stove was removed, and I think it was used for storage and possibly housed a handcar. At one point a birdhouse (with a chimney) was built on top of the chimney. That was there even after abandonment.

Early photo of shed:

Post-abandonment photo of the chimney:

Re: Como Depot Questions

Kurt Maechner
Ted, thanks for that info and photos.  It's amazing the details that one can so easily miss.  The birdhouse specifically is quite a curious detail and one I've never noticed before.