Colorado & Southern Engine 2

Steve Headford
Possibly anyone provide some information on this engine.

Re: Colorado & Southern Engine 2

John Schapekahm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Colorado & Southern Engine 2

Chris Walker
Apparently was retained for Morrison Branch service, Harry Brunk also had a liking for it as well.

The very first picture in my thread Pictorial Supplement to Train Time in Morrison
http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Pictorial-Supplement-to-Train-Time-in-Morrison-tp4094.html

DPL  X-11159    http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/10267/rv/singleitem

Who's the Dumb-Bay lister? Wood Burning Loco Ha-ha!

Re: Colorado & Southern Engine 2

South Park
  Chris !  Can't you see the wood lumps piled in the tender ???

Re: Colorado & Southern Engine 2

Tom Coletti
Woah.... I have a webcomic in the works where a C&S Brooks mogul (Alma, #17) was kept around despite not being on the books. I'm absolutely dumbfounded that this actually happened with one of them. Any word on the prior DL&G or DSP&P number?

Re: Colorado & Southern Engine 2

Tom Coletti
http://narrowgauge.homestead.com/files/C_S_NG_Loco_Data.htm

So after digging around, I found a C&Sng roster that includes a #2 and #3. Most rosters I've seen skip right from 1 to 4, but apparently both "Hill Top" (pictured here) and "Webster" had a brief stay on the C&S.

Re: Colorado & Southern Engine 2

Tom,

CRA No 10 has side by side photos of Colorado Central 8 as delivered, later becoming UPD&G 150, the UPD&G 5 in 1896, finally C&S number 15, sold by 1902.  At right,  sister DSP&P 31, became number DL&G 158 and was eventually renumbered C&S number 2 in 1899, sold 1902.

Colorado Rail Annual No.10, page 160.

And if you're looking for a dramatic story line involving Brooks moguls, for a C&S webcomic, recall the great locomotive collision of 1896.

Democrat William Jennings Bryan ran against Republican William McKinley for president that year. Colorado and other western mining states tended to support Bryan, as he was in favor of government purchasing of silver (remember the "cross of gold" speech?).

To raise money for Bryan's campaign, Colorado Democrats obtained 2 old Brooks moguls from the UPD&G, numbers 153 and 154, sisters to those that became C&S numbers 2 and 3.  They then staged a locomotive collision outside of Denver, charging spectators an admission price.

http://digital.denverlibrary.org/cdm/fullbrowser/collection/p15330coll22/id/87357/rv/singleitem/rec/36

Photos by William H. Jackson

Before and after photos are found in Richard Kindig's chapter VI of the Pictorial Supplement to the Denver, South Park and Pacific:

Both photos by William H. Jackson

The effort was to no avail, as Bryan lost the election of 1896 and again in 1890.

Amazingly, both the damaged locomotives were rebuilt, returned to service and later sold to lumber companies by 1898, so never received C&S numbers.

Re: Colorado & Southern Engine 2

Robert McFarland
Remember that  the surviving Brooks and Cooke moguls were renumbered by the UPD&G in 1896,causing some confusion in photo identification of engines photographed around the TOC period.