C&Sn3 Kitbash of the UP built 27 foot boxcar + Outfit Car Info

Re: C&Sn3 Kitbash of the UP built 27 foot boxcar (so far)

Jim Courtney
Interesting technique, Konrad.

Might work well for paint weathering off those metal Murphy roofs on later C&S house cars.

RE: C&Sn3 Kitbash of the UP built 27 foot boxcar (so far)

I need them (24 foot outfit cars) like I need a hole in the head.

I dunno, Keith. A couple of outfit cars might look good in a freight train, just ahead of the caboose:

Leaving Grant, eastbound, c1912-13. In the Klingers' Platte Canon Memories . . .

Different size outfit cars of different origins, with mismatched big block C&S reporting marks. Pretty cool!

RE: C&Sn3 Kitbash of the UP built 27 foot boxcar (so far)

Robert McFarland
What is that train hauling ?

RE: C&Sn3 Kitbash of the UP built 27 foot boxcar (so far)

Jim Courtney
Mine props, likely.

Re: C&Sn3 Kitbash of the UP built 27 foot boxcar (so far)

For those of you seeking Leadville Shops kits for the 24 foot CC boxcar and box-baggage car in S scale, to convert into outfit cars like Bob Stears On3 C&S 070 and 023 outfit cars, I scored a couple of kits from DesPlaines Hobbies: http://www.desplaineshobbies.com/store/category/2/80/S-Narrow-Gauge/

The last two kits listed, "Sn3 KIT 24' Boxcar CC #1620"  and  "Sn3 KIT MOW Caboose CC #26552" are the kits in question.

Hopefully, I didn't buy the last of each!!

Re: C&Sn3 Kitbash of the UP built 27 foot boxcar (so far)

Todd A Ferguson
These are very cool cars Jim and Bob.  You both have done a fine modeling job!!!
Looking forward to seeing Jim's car painted too.
Does anyone have any idea how the interiors might be arranged.  It appears to me that the 023 was equipped as a water service car.
Obviously the stacks would help locate the location of stoves in the cars.  I suspect the 071 might be more of a bunk and kitchen car.
Would the two types of cars travel as a set to service the water tanks or other facilities? That would seem to make sense to me.
Who makes the trucks for the On3 cars?  Sorry I have mostly questions to offer...but I am slowly learning more about the early C&S.

Best,
Todd Ferguson
12