C&S narrow gauge tie size...

Todd A Ferguson
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding the standard narrow gauge tie on the C&S. I believe I read somewhere that they were 6x6 and 6 or 6.5 feet long. Is that correct?  If I am going to handlay any track I may as well make the ties the proper size...

Thanks,

Todd Ferguson
Harrisburg, NC

Re: C&S narrow gauge tie size...

Doug Heitkamp
Todd,

You are correct. According to the 1913 C&S Rwy. Tie and Timber Specifications, narrow gauge ties were to be 6" thick x 6" on the face x 6' 6" long. They could be 1/2" thicker and along the face, and 1" shorter than specified. They were to be made from Red Spruce or Yellow Pine. No White Pine, White Spruce, or Balsam Fir were to be used.

Doug
Doug Heitkamp
Centennial, CO

Re: C&S narrow gauge tie size...

Todd A Ferguson
Doug,

Thanks for the verification.
If it's worth doing its worth doing right, or at least the best we can with models!

Does anyone make the slide plates and parts for stub switches in 1/4" scale.
I know Grandt Line makes a simple bridle bar, but the castings the rails go into and some nicely detailed bridle bars would be excellent.

Best,
Todd Ferguson
Harrisburg, NC

Re: C&S narrow gauge tie size...

Todd A Ferguson
Interesting that the post showing the 1910 diagrams for the turnouts calls out the switch ties as 7x9 inches.
Seems a bit odd that they would use both 6" and 7" thick ties.
I believe that the RGS used 8x8 inch ties with lengths of 6' and 6'6" IIRC for switches, track and even bridges.
C&S has 36" sectional area vs RGS having 64" sectional area, yet the C&S switch ties have 63" sectional area too.
Interesting....

Best,
Todd Ferguson
Harrisburg, NC